I took Lyn’s advice and made the whiskers from wire. Here is the new look. I also decided to put her on a pedestal to see out the window rather than sitting on the windowsill. I found an old pot and turned it upside down, but I’m thinking gold may be better. Although, when she’s in the window you can’t see the pot.
I recently realized I needed to carry on my tradition of giving each grandchild a pumpkin wall hanging. I have a new grandson, Ken who arrived early in April.
But I didn’t really have a nice orange to make the pumpkin. So, I made a batt using hand dyed Corriedale, a funky orange pink merino, bright orange coarse commercial fiber, gold merino, hand dyed Domestic 56s with Logwood from Cathy and a touch of white. You can see the batt in the back. I think the color turned out well. I also used the merino/silk mix for the stem that I had used in the Edo challenge with the Sakura branches.
I had made a sketch of how I wanted the pumpkin to look. A bit different than his sister Lisa’s girly pumpkin from last year.
Of course, I got into laying it out and cutting the prefelts and forgot to take pictures. But here is Ken’s dried pumpkin.
Then after a little shave.
Now I guess I’d better start thinking about the upcoming holidays. Did you do anything for Halloween?
Here in the United States October 31 is Halloween. A big holiday for dressing up and collecting treats for kids and some adults. I’m not sure if the rest of the world has this tradition, but it’s a favorite here.
Four years ago I made my grandsons very basic pumpkin wall hangings.
Last year my granddaughter Lisa was too young although her parents took her out trick or treating around the neighborhood. So this year I made Lisa her wall hanging.
I found some unknown orange fiber that was too bright, so I made some batts adding some white merino. I wanted something feminine and decided to add a button nose (wooden ball), prefelt eyes, mouth, stem and bow for some dimension.
After I wet it out, I felt it was too thin so I added some corriedale leftover batt that I did for the color challenge last year to the back.
Once it was felted and shaved, I thought it needed something else. so, I began trying to stitch on eyelashes. This turned out to be a nightmare. I tried hand and machine stitching. I did more ripping out and filling the swear jar. I finally let it sit for a few days and found some thick cotton embroidery thread Cathy had brought me from Japan a few years ago. Thanks Cathy!
While the stitching isn’t the best, it worked.
Here are some closeups. The pumpkin was very hairy and bumpy (thanks unknown fiber) and had to be shaved a couple of times, but I doubt a 19 month old will care.