Browsed by
Tag: polymer clay button

Felted Case

Felted Case

This week, I made a case for my best friend’s birthday. I made it all in one piece using a resist. I laid out a piece of silk on the resist first so that the back inside had a nice pattern, I also thought this would help strengthen the flap so it doesn’t stretch if it’s opened often. This is the front with the flap open:

And the back with the flap open:

This is how it looked with the flap closed:

I used some dyed silk throwster’s waste and dyed soy staple for the embellishments:

The silk has a paisley design on it, which can still be seen, but close up you can’t tell with the texture:

I always have trouble choosing buttons for cases/purses etc. I’m sure I said this last time, but I really need to make some more buttons out of polymer clay. I bought a bag of green buttons at a hobby fair about a year ago, I thought this one was quite nice, but a bit small:

I liked this ‘fancy’ button, but it’s a bit big and too thick:

This was my favourite and what I ended up using:

I blanket stitched around the button hole and around the opening/flap, but didn’t get chance to photograph it finished. My friend loves it and he’s already using it 🙂

Easter Baskets

Easter Baskets

With Easter around the corner, I decided to make Easter baskets for my grandsons this year.

Since I didn’t have a container the size or shape I wanted, I chose to make a resist using Rosiepink’s “How to Make Vessels with a Resist” ebook.

I wanted to put a different design on each side, but have both the same. A bunny on one side and a chick on the other.  Then I made a resist design on paper and cut a template from plastic flooring material.  After sketching out a design, I made some prefelts in colors I didn’t have because I decided it would be easier to control the small design pieces.

prefelt

I cut out the designs from the prefelt and needle felted them together using yarn to decorate the eggs.  I used an extra white layer underneath the bunnies because I didn’t want the background colors coming through after fulling.  I also used another layer under the bottom of the eggs to level them out.  Before laying out on the resist:

chick and bunny

At the last minute I changed the position of the eggs making them vertical instead of horizontal.  When I put the designs on the resist they were too tall!  Back to the drawing board to make a bigger resist.  I added another two inches in height to accommodate the height and shrinkage.

Since they are baskets, I wanted to make them look like it.   So, I alternated background colors on the first layer.  It got tricky on the second layer because the roving was laid out perpendicular and the colors didn’t match because of the staple length.  I found the sparse spots and filled in those colors first then proceeded with the second layer design careful to alternate the side colors as well. I used four layers total one side at a time.

First layer
First layer

 

After I finished felting, fulling and shaping, I noticed my bunny and chick designs were too low.  I’m sure the kids won’t care, but I’ll know better next time.  I was very pleased with the final result.  Although, the bunnies need some whiskers. Any suggestions?

easter baskets 2

To finish it off, I made basket handles by braiding roving, then felting and fulling them.  I also used Zed’s “Polymer  Clay Simply Made” ebook to make “egg” buttons. That was fun, too.  I still have to put them together.  The handles are soft which was intentional so that we could easily pack them and use the buttons to remove the handles.

What spring or Easter projects are you working on?

Thanks to Lyn and Zed for creating such easy to follow tutorials!

Shibori Scarf

Shibori Scarf

I was inspired by Kim Winter’s post about shibori and indigo recently so I thought I would stitch, tie and over dye one of my “failed” eco dyed scarves. Kim had suggested that the indigo color goes well with the eco dyed fabrics, so even though I didn’t have indigo, I combined blue and black acid dyes to achieve a dark indigo look.

Stitched ScarfFirst I folded the scarf in half, stitched running stitch about every 1/4 – 1/2″ across the scarf. The scarf is a combination of wool and silk that I got from Dharma Trading.

Close Up Before Dyeing

I didn’t have any specific instructions but knew the general idea of how it was supposed to work. Sew a running stitch, pull it tight and tie a knot.

Tied TightHere it is after I tightened up all the strings and tied knots.

Close Up Tied ScarfI had some difficulty holding it tight when I was tying the knots. I don’t think I really got it as tight as I should have.

Shibori ScarfHere’s the finished scarf. It is really hard to get a photo of this color as it tends to looks just black. But it is a really deep blue.

Close Up Shibori ScarfYou can see the patterning much better in this photo. I haven’t ironed it out so it has a nice texture from the shibori tying as well. I think I’ll just leave it as it is and I was happy with the results. Thanks Kim, for the inspiration!

Button on Phone Case

I also added a button to my new phone case that I showed you earlier. This is one of Zed’s polymer clay buttons. You can learn how to make these from her e-book. The button matches perfectly – Thanks Zed!

Pile of Dyed Roving

And just so you don’t think I’m a slacker, here is the wool roving I dyed last week. 🙂

%d bloggers like this: