Second Quarter Challenge 2019 – Seascapes

An old music hall song’s opening line is: “Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside”.  And who doesn’t?

So this quarter the challenge is to make a seascape and it doesn’t have to be just ‘sea’. You might include beaches, yachts, lighthouses, seabirds, piers etc.  The Felting Forum embraces all things fibre and mixed media, so do your favourite thing or have a go at something new!

As in the previous challenge, size doesn’t matter and it doesn’t have to be wall art – your seascape could feature on clothing, a vessel or a mug mat.

Here are some seascapes made with various techniques:

Anne (Penguin) made this wet-felted seascape, added a gull using applique, then made a hanger from driftwood.   Anne wrote about how the picture evolved in this forum post

Anne (Penguin) - seascape with gull

Tracey made this mixed media wet-felted seascape then added sea glass boats and shells.  She gave more details in this thread

Tracey's sea glass boats

Julie (Paintergirl) needle-felted ‘The Boathouse’ then added some stitching…

Julie (Paintergirl) TheBoathouse

…she also needle-felted ‘Ailsa Craig’ shown below.  Julie has a photobucket slideshow here

More of Julie’s work can be seen at  Cloud 9 Gallery

Julie (Paintergirl) AilsaCraig

Lindsay wet-felted ‘Big Wave’ – read more here

Lindsay 'Big Wave'

and ‘Winter Sea’ read more here

Lindsay 'Winter Sea'

Annie (rosiepink) made this sea/sky image with dry wool fibres.  Un-felted fibre pictures can be photographed then the images printed to make wall art.  Or the fibres can be trapped under glass then framed.

Annie (rosipink) sea and sky

Annie (rosiepink) made this nuno seascape with wisps of fibres and open-weave fabrics, then soaked it with CMC paste, scrunched it up a bit then let it dry.  It’s stiff enough to hang on a nail in the wall!

Annie (rosiepink) CMC seascape small image

Here’s a part of it in close-up.

Annie (rosiepink) CMC seascape close up small image

We hope you’ve been inspired to have a go at this challenge!  It would be lovely to see some new seascapes on the forum.

About annielynrosie

rosiepink is a mother and daughter team.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Second Quarter Challenge 2019 – Seascapes

1. They are amazing! I think The Boathouse is my favourite

2. Lee Downes says:

Hello – can you please explain Rosiepinks technique a bit more – was her piece wet felted before being soaked in cmc paste?

Thanks Lee

Sent from my iPhone

• annielynrosie says:

Hello Lee, yes, the piece was wet-felted before the paste was applied. The base is white merino wool and on top were placed open-weave fabrics, yarn, locks and merino fibres.

3. Great examples Lyn and Annie. I am looking forward to this one and have a few ideas already.

It’s a long way from the sea here in Montana. But I will come up with something! 😉

5. Lindsay Wilkinson says:

Thanks for including my pictures – I just want to add that more about these and other felt pictures can be found under ‘Lindsay Wilkinson Artwork’ on Facebook & Instagram. Lindsay

• annielynrosie says:

Your pictures are gorgeous Lindsay! Keep them coming!

We hope that readers click through on the ‘read more here’ links above your pictures to learn more about you and your art.

6. FeltBliss says:

Great post and thanks for all the photos. I’m totally inspired to try a seascape 🙂

7. Wonderful pieces for inspiration! Each so unique. I love water and while I don’t live near the sea I love going there. Thanks for putting this together Lyn and Annie!

• annielynrosie says:

Thank you Marilyn.
      There’s something about standing on the shore – the sea almost calls to you!

8. Antje says:

You’ve drawn together a diverse set of lovely seascapes – very inspiring.
    The sea does call….I lived for my first 20yrs within walking distance and knew the sea in all it’s guises. For many years (having moved to almost exactly mid country) I missed that call, and frequently had to have my lungs filled with sea air. Now decades later I’m finally very content with my beautiful country surroundings….with a few visits to the sea!

• annielynrosie says:

Thank you Antje. There’s a theory that we all came from the sea so maybe that’s why it calls to us!

Ooh! I think I’ve done more ‘seascapes’ than landscapes so this is right up my alley! I love all the examples you’ve included, especially the nuno and CMC paste piece 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )