Abstraction

Last weekend I took part in an exhibition at The Creative Craft Show held in Manchester’s EventCity. I attended as a member of Jeudis, a mixed media textile group who meet monthly in the village of Rothley, Leicestershire. The group work to a different theme each year and each member creates either a large piece of work, or a series of small pieces, in their preferred medium. The current theme is Abstraction and so far I’ve made three pieces, two framed pictures using Merino fibres, Lutradur and sheer fabrics and a wall hanging in Bergschaf. As they are all on the large side I had to select just one to exhibit and went for the Bergschaf “Rockpool”.

Abstraction – 72cm x 40cm mixed media
Abstraction II – 80cm x 40cm mixed media
Abstraction – Rockpool 53cm dia Bergschaf and found objects

This is the work created by the rest of the group…..

Sue also works in fibre and created these wonderful pictures enclosed in tree bark
Christine is a book maker and creates mixed media collagej
Gill created a large bowl incorporating fabric, paper and stitch
Cathy’s work is very geometric and often features architectural imagery
Linda used her interested in yoga and the various associated symbols to create this colourful quilt
Hazels hand coloured and embroidered scroll
Jeans mixed media with fabric, paper and stitch
Elaine’s piece is hand painted and stitched on pelmet vilene

We had a lot of visitors to our stand and some great feedback which was very encouraging. It also led to me designing more “rockpool” inspired items for the sales table…

These are just a few more photos from the show…..

This entry was posted in Guest Writer, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Abstraction

1. Michelle says:

Each piece has its own unique sense of beauty. Well done.

2. pamladds says:

wow just wow! Fabulous work. Do you have any idea how Sue prepares the bark (so that mould, bugs etc are gone) before she attaches her beautiful art?

• Karen Lane says:

Hi Pam, The first thing I do with any bits of wood or bark I collect is put it in a well sealed plastic bag and pop it in the freezer for a few days…this kills off any bugs! I’ve spoken with Sue this morning to find out her process. Sue’s wood had been kept indoors for over a year with the intention of making a project like this one so it was thoroughly dry. She applied paper mache to the inside of the bark and then painted the outside with Polyvine “dead flat” Varnish before applying her felted pictures. Hope this answers your question.

3. craftywoman says:

All these pieces are wonderful, how fabulous that you are a group that meets to inspire and create, with a monthly goal, love your rock pools.

• Karen Lane says:

Thank you and yes it’s great to get together to see each other’s work and to exchange ideas. I had no idea there were so many textile groups, exhibitions and workshops in the UK before I took this up! No time to get bored!!!

4. Florence Heyhoe says:

inspirin g work. Loved the rockpool.

Karen, so inspiring to be part of such a creative group. Looks like a wonderful exhibition. I think your rock pool work is gorgeous but I really like Abstraction II. It reminds me of a rocky surface with lichen and other colorful growing bits of nature.

• Karen Lane says:

It’s funny because I didn’t particularly like that one once it was finished Ruth….the colours were out of my comfort zone! It’s grown on me since and I am now creeping a little more colour into my work.

6. What a wonderful exhibition with such variety in materials, pieces and fibers. I love your pieces, especially the rockpool. Great work! Thanks for sharing.

7. jane dolan says:

That all looks wonderful Karen. Love your Rock Pool inspired felting.

8. annielynrosie says:

Abstraction 11 is gorgeous Karen!
    The whole exhibition looks so good.

• Karen Lane says:

Thanks Lyn. The show was a very mixed bag and we were only one of five ‘exhibiting’ stalls, the rest were all traders, but our little area was buzzing all day!

9. Great looking Exhibit and show. I like your rock pool a lot and Elaine’s piece. They are all very appealing though.

So many great pieces, thanks for this! Also I had no idea this event was happening down the road from me 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )