Some Needle Felting

We’ve been needlefelting at the Well-Being Centre. We started last week when there were just a few of us. One of the members liked this painting of ducks that is on the wall:

This was how far she’d got at the start of this week after doing a little of work after taking it home last week:

I think I’ve mentioned it’s a basement room with strange lights and 2 tiny windows, so the light isn’t great. I started an abstract piece using some of the dyed locks we have:

Some of them are commercial dyed BFL from World of Wool. This is a green one:

And, I think this is some dyed locks Lyn donated to us when we were first starting out:

These weren’t done at the centre, but one of the members brought them in. She was a really good sport about us laughing at her first attempt. And we weren’t being mean, we know it’s just at a stage where it looks comical:

She started on a different one, and liked how that progressed so did a little bit more:

I’m looking forward to seeing them finished! She also brought in a nuno sample she made a few weeks ago, at the same time I made mine, this is the blended 18.5 mic Merino side:

This is the front:

And this is a close up of the texture:

I’ll have updates of the needle felting next time πŸ™‚

8 Responses to Some Needle Felting

1. 3D felting isn’t easy! Good on your friend for having a go and it would be lovely to see them finished.
    The nuno texture (final photo) is gorgeous. Do you have a plan for the abstract or are you winging it?

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      Nah, I just wanted to do something that didn’t take much thought really. I wanted to show our new member the basics of needlefelting so just grabbed a colour, and thought I’d carry on like that. You can’t help but learn things though, and it’s given me ideas for uses for the wools in future projects!

I am looking forward to seeing how the needle felting projects progress. The various stages can definitely look funny. Sounds like everyone is having a good time!

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I doubt I could make anything even half as recognisable if I tried, so I’m glad she saw the funny side too. And it’s one of those projects you can leave and add to with more experience. I think it was just a difficult first dog shape to start with too.

3. I have a few needle felted 3d peises that still look like that. Looks like everyone is learning and having fun.

Yeah, it’s been chilled since we went back, needleflting is relaxing in its own way. I can’t say I miss not having to wash all the wet equipment either!

You are sure providing the students with a lot of choices for Felting which is great. The Nuno sample is lush. I look forward to seeing the progress of the needle felting.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      Yeah, we wanted the group to be felting and fibre arts, so there was something for everyone really.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )