Using Prefelt … Almost

I’ve been meaning to make more of my own prefelt for ages. I have some commercial prefelt, but thought it’d be nice to have some in other colours and even multi colours. I also had the idea I wanted to recreate a band logo or design or something. There was one I had in mind, with only 3 colours, so I thought I’d start small. The first colour I needed was red:

And, I also needed black, not as much, but I wanted to make enough in case of mistakes:

And it’s probably a good thing I did! I’ve only cut simple shapes from prefelt before, all freestyle I think. I might have been a bit too ambitious with my idea … Firstly, all the faffing around with the design, simplifying it to individual colours, then making those just outlines, enlarging, printing, cutting out etc, that all took a couple of hours. Then I couldn’t find anything to trace around the shapes and leave a clear outline. So, for now, I’ll just have to show you the shapes ready for tracing:

Those are the main shapes (flames), there are some smaller ones I’ll need to do too. I don’t think there’s enough black for too many mistakes, so I’ll have to be careful!

One thing I do have finished is a bird pod. Probably better for nesting material, I think.

And the back:

Have you overestimated how ‘simple’ a project should be?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Using Prefelt … Almost

1. I underestimate how long or complicated something will be all the time. I think you have lots of black. Once you make a cut you line the next piece up against the cut. No gaps, so much less waist. What I have been using to mark my felt is a liquid pen. It’s a silver pen you get when you want to write fancy invitations. You have to shake it before using it and you need to press the end to start the flow. I think I got mine at the dollar store.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I was going to try to get them close, but I didn’t think of doing one, then using the edge for the next, so thanks for that πŸ™‚

I too underestimate time and difficulty of projects on nearly a daily basis. I always try to remember the KISS principal. Keep it simple stupid! Not to say you are stupid, that’s me.

The design part always takes longer than expected too. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

The bird pod looks like a perfect addition to any tree.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      yueah, the design or planning part always takes about 3 times as long as I think. ‘I’ll just quickly do this on Photoshop’, then I have 6 designs with a few variations each!

3. Yes, projects always take longer, sometimes much longer, than expected!
    I’m looking forward to seeing your finished pre-felt project – how about using freezer paper to cut out your complicated shapes?
    The bird pod is sweet and I’m sure the birds will love it.

• Lyn what is freezer paper? is it the same as butcher paper? brown with a plastic coating on one side? do you iron it on and it’s easy to peal off?

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I’ve looked for freezer paper so often. But thanks for the extra info, I’ll search it on Amazon. It won’t stop the frefelt attaching will it?

4. Hello Ann – it’s waxy one side and paper on the other so you can draw a shape on the paper side of the freezer paper then press it to the felt using a medium heat (no steam) for 2-3 seconds – leave to cool before cutting out. The paper should stick to the felt during cutting but then peel away easily.

I copied this from my mate google:
    Freezer paper starts out like butcher paper, simple uncoated paper on rolls, but then it is poly coated on one side.

I always underestimate time and complication of a project. I try to figure out all the steps ahead, but there’s always something that changes or pops up during creation. Good luck with the design, the freezer paper sounds like a good idea. I like the bird pod. Been meaning to make one, but haven’t yet.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I like doing bird pods, because I like to add loads of locks sent from Zara πŸ™‚

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w