First Quarter Challenge 2018
A few weeks ago I showed some printed fabric transfers I’d applied to muslin. Or tried to apply-I lost the instructions so they didn’t all turn out very well! I trimmed them down and nuno felted them recently for the First Quarter Challenge. The first one was a small image of a face, I used some Skudden wool for this sample:
It wasn’t a great photo to use, and got distorted with the shrinkage, but I think other designs or images would work well. On this close up you can see the difference between the plain muslin and where the design is, and how you can still see the weave at least in the blue part. It shows how much the Skuden migrated too:
The other transfer I tried was one which had printing mistakes on, and also I tried to remove the transfer paper too soon, so the coating was left on in most parts. I used Rambouillet top for this sample (first time I’d used it and I love it!) This is the whole piece:
I think there were only tiny corners of letters which came out properly, so it was just varying degrees of coating left on. I think this is one of the thinner patches, the space between the letters is wide enough to see the coating and where it ends on the fabric:
There was lots of the coating left on here:
From this angle you can see how the part with the most coating on didn’t attach at all, like most people predicted:
This is a photo of the back, which also makes it obvious where it attached, and didn’t:
And just because I loved it so much, here’s a close up of the tiny crimpy texture of the Rambouillet felt!:
And finally, no, this isn’t a pizza base I was making, it’s actually part way through making a piece for Ann’s Second Quarter Challenge, which I’ll show you finished next time 🙂
8 thoughts on “First Quarter Challenge 2018”
Great samples Zed. The face transfer turned out great. I think you could probably shave off the migrating fiber and it would be really clear. The letters are still interesting even though they didn’t adhere all the way. And I’m looking forward to seeing the “pizza”! 🙂
Thanks, Ruth 🙂
Yeah, I had a feeling it wasn’t the best wool to try it with, but wanted to use something other than Merino for a change, since I had a pretty good idea how it’d turn out with that. The pizza turned out very interesting 🙂
I am with Ruth. give the first one a save and frame it. the second one might be interesting with some stitching on it. the pizza doesn’t look like a sample or a book cover so thats interesting. 🙂
Ha ha, no the pizza isn’t a sample or book cover! 🙂 Though it is technically a ‘test’ piece, just in an interesting form! The ripples distorted the face a bit too much to display, it is a bit ‘ugly’.
The face transfer piece of muslin felted really well! Would be worth having another go with lettering as it could add a lot to a felted piece.
No idea what the part felted item is!
Thanks, Lyn 🙂
Yeah, there’s definitely some potential with the transfer paper, if I can get it to turn out properly. All will be revealed soon about the part felted piece 🙂
Good idea to use muslin for the face turned out well. I’ve never heard of Skuden. It’s hard to use type for transfers. I look forward to what you do with the pizza.
Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
I think if I used enough wool the text would look alright, what I never thought about was making sure the transfer was really straight on the muslin. I think that caused the most distortion. It might have been clearer without all the overlaying of text I did on the transfer!