Browsed by
Tag: transfer prints on felt

First Quarter Challenge 2018

First Quarter Challenge 2018

A few weeks ago I showed some printed fabric transfers I’d applied to muslin. Or tried to apply-I lost the instructions so they didn’t all turn out very well! I trimmed them down and nuno felted them recently for the First Quarter Challenge. The first one was a small image of a face, I used some Skudden wool for this sample:

It attached well, and evenly:

It wasn’t a great photo to use, and got distorted with the shrinkage, but I think other designs or images would work well. On this close up you can see the difference between the plain muslin and where the design is, and how you can still see the weave at least in the blue part. It shows how much the Skuden migrated too:

The other transfer I tried was one which had printing mistakes on, and also I tried to remove the transfer paper too soon, so the coating was left on in most parts. I used Rambouillet top for this sample (first time I’d used it and I love it!) This is the whole piece:

I think there were only tiny corners of letters which came out properly, so it was just varying degrees of coating left on. I think this is one of the thinner patches, the space between the letters is wide enough to see the coating and where it ends on the fabric:

There was lots of the coating left on here:

From this angle you can see how the part with the most coating on didn’t attach at all, like most people predicted:

This is a photo of the back, which also makes it obvious where it attached, and didn’t:

And just because I loved it so much, here’s a close up of the tiny crimpy texture of the Rambouillet felt!:

And finally, no, this isn’t a pizza base I was making, it’s actually part way through making a piece for Ann’s Second Quarter Challenge, which I’ll show you finished next time 🙂

%d bloggers like this: