Throwback Post – Texture

We were talking about doing some ‘throwback’ posts this year, and while I was giving the site a bit of a tidy-up and adding a new 3D page over the New Year, I came across this one of mine from September 2014, and thought it’d be a good one to start with. Do you ever revisit your old work and get inspired with new ideas?

A while ago I bought a weird fluffy, knitted, tubular scarf from Poundland to try felting with. If you ever buy one, make sure you cut it over a bucket or newspaper or something to catch all the bits! I laid out a couple of layers of very wispy pink Merino tops left over from a book cover I made last year, then I added the piece of scarf, and 2 more wispy layers of wool tops. It didn’t take long to felt. This is one side of it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the other side:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is what it looked like holding it up to the sky:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI don’t remember how long after, but I decided the scarf sampler might make a nice sculptural piece similar to one I’d made before. I didn’t make it in exactly the same way, I concertina’d it and stitched in place, then twisted and felted and fulled more. This is the top:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAClose up of the ridges:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASuper close up of the texture:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA close up of the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd a super close up of the texture:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANow, what do I do with the other 8 square feet of fluffy knitted stuff? 🙂

This entry was posted in Other Fibers, sculptural felt, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Throwback Post – Texture

I like the 3D page – it’s great to look back and I’d forgotten about Ruth’s photo of her ‘headgear’ so it was good to see that again.
    I can’t believe it was over 3 years ago that you made your lovely sculptural piece.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      There are so many things I’d forgotten which were nice to see again. And I was surprised this was from 2014 too!

Thanks for making the 3D page. Not sure you needed to include that photo of my “headgear” as Lyn puts it 😉

Do you still have some of this scarf left or did you use it all up?

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      Oh, I did have to include it! I still have loads of this scarf left. I think I’ll take some to the well being group.

3. Sylvia Lee says:

After it was twisted and felted did you remove the thread from the stitching?

4. FeltBliss says:

Quite the transformation. Very cool.

I remember this piece and love the twisty sculpture. Perhaps with the leftovers you can make a whole series of matching 3D objects in different shapes and textures.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      Yeah, we’re doing vessels at the well being centre soon, so if I take some in, we could make some interesting pieces!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )