The Year Ahead

I’m ahead of myself this year, usually I start by planning to be more organised, but I bought some new tubs a few weeks ago and cleared up a few piles off my desk! And yesterday I sorted through a large box of fabric from the well being centre and put it more tidily into different bags and labelled them. One of the bags is lots of ready cut strips for making experimental nuno samplers. There are lots of unusual fabrics in there for beginners to try before they pick up any ideas of which fabrics ‘work’ and which ‘don’t’.

One of the first things I need to do this year is write a constitution for our group. We have our own light hearted rules, such as ‘You’re not allowed to be disappointed, we don’t make failures, we make unintentional discoveries’! but maybe we’ll keep that as our motto ๐Ÿ™‚

Looking back at the things I made last year, I saw a lot of things I started to learn, but never really progressed with. One ‘unintentional discovery’ I made was that I quite like freestyle crochet:

I would like to learn how to do it properly though, so I can maybe make something, or at least freestyle a lot better! Another thing I didn’t really progress with is spinning. I did spend a few days practising and made some yarn I liked:

But I think trying to spin some Superwash, which spins about as well as it felts, put me off a bit:

I want to learn to spin on a wheel so I can knit some really cool jumpers, or at least a funky hat, but not being able to do a good job of sewing up is quite limiting:

And only really being able to knit with chunky pencil roving on fat needles is too:

So, I’d like to learn to knit better, or more, or just differently! And I’m really looking forward to the Surface Design challenges this year, I’ve already started thinking about mine for the 4th Quarter. If you missed Ruth’s post the other day, have a look here. Have you made any plans for the year ahead?

This entry was posted in The Year Ahead and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Year Ahead

Organizing one’s craft stash is like painting the Forth Bridge!
    Libraries here have ‘knit and natter’ groups (no charge) – all the people that turn up help each other to develop skill. Anything like that where you are?
    Annie’s had some ‘proper’ lessons on a spinning wheel – it’s much easier than trying to teach yourself.
    I hope 2018 sees your group flourish!

Thanks, Lyn ๐Ÿ™‚
      Yeah, we have a knitting group at the well being centre, it’s on at the same time as the felting group ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I did buy a Craftsy spinning course, but never watched it and don’t remember how to get it! I hope 2018’s good for you and Annie too!

I can help with most things! I’ve a great (excellent) crochet-for-beginners book I can recommend, and I can definitely tell you all about knitting in the round (no sewing necessary, woohoo!) And of course, I’m happy to help with spinning ๐Ÿ˜€ Send me a message so I can send you all the great info.

Happy New Year, Zed!

Nice one, Leonor! ๐Ÿ™‚
      I will definitely do that this week! Happy New Year, hope it’s a good one!

I love your motto for your group Zed. That’s perfect. Definitely a good way to work. I think you should go forward on the freestyle crochet., The more you experiment, the more you’ll learn what works and what doesn’t. I never got very far with spinning either. I keep thinking I will try again but haven’t taken the time to do it. Hope you have a great year and thanks for the plug for the 1st quarter challenge.

Thanks, Ruth ๐Ÿ™‚
      I think I got so used to the spindle and just making exactly what I needed that making space and time for the wheel seemed so much more effort. I did enjoy it once the ‘tetris effect’ wore off and my legs stopped having the phantom spinning feeling!

4. Karen Lane says:

Like Ruth, I love your group motto Zed! I enjoy unintentional discoveries….whether they are during Feltmaking, driving or cooking….it makes for an interesting life when things take a different turn! The freestyle crochet looks interesting….thinking out loud here, could you incorporate a piece into some felting? As for plans, Ive booked onto a four day masterclass with Gladys Paulus in August which Iโ€™m very excited about and I also like the challenge theme of โ€œSurface Designโ€ so need to get my thinking cap on!

Thanks, Karen ๐Ÿ™‚
      Yeah, that was the plan for crochet, and for knitting too initially, to incorporate into felting in some way, something sculptural. My freestyle is just loops or holes though, some structure would be good! Wow, a 4-day masterclass sounds intense! Good luck with it ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Great motto Zed. I switched knitting styles and found I liked not throwing my yarn, Not that I knit much. I am on year 4 I think of a shawl. It hasn’t come out for a long time.

Thatโ€™s an awesome motto Zed! Good luck with your organization and all the new techniques youโ€™d like to master. Happy New Year!

7. tracey2008 says:

Happy New Year Zed. Great rules, yes you should use them as the group motto, very encouraging. Keep striving forward with new directions and new discoveries, variety is the spice of life!

Thanks, Tracey ๐Ÿ™‚
      yeah, we’re definitely not a group who’ll have an answer for ‘what it is?’ when we make stuff, but our experiments have lots of potential for what they’ll become! We just need to find the key for the sewing machine cupboard now! Happy New Year, hope it’s a good one!

8. Pingback: Carding and Blending | feltingandfiberstudio

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w