Pandagirl’s 2017 3rd Quarter Challenge Part 2

This challenge became more of a challenge than I expected.  If you  missed part 1,  you can see it here:

I had intended to use a combination of free motion and hand embroidery to add details  to finish it.  However, when I tried to use the sewing machine the felt was too thick and the stitches were just buried and I couldn’t control the machine.  So, after an hour or more ripping out teeny stitches, I started the hand embroidery.

Embroidery is not my strong suit. My goal was to give an impression of ruffled petals and a hint of stamens.  After looking at pictures of Sakura, I decided to keep it simple.

I made stars in the center of flowers with a knot in the middle on some.  I didn’t want them to all look alike.  Here I was getting started.


At first I tried using the stem stitch for the flower petal, but that proved to be hard to do in the felt and it really didn’t give it a ruffled look.  so, I settled on a satin stitch. I varied the tightness depending on how close or far away it was.   Then added some stem and back stitches to show differences.

Here are some closeups.

Another goal was to keep it subtle as if it was a 17th century scroll or painting that had faded over time.  I originally had wanted to give it a scroll texture, but I had purposely didn’t felt it hard and it was thick so that wasn’t going to work.  Best laid plans, right?

I also varied the color of the floss sometimes using white, pink or a strand of each to vary the depth.  I also didn’t want all the flowers to look the same. I loved the dimension, colors and texture of the merino/silk scraps I used for the branches.

After I finished and wove in the threads, I steamed it to try to get the lumps out. I tried.

I know everyone had a an idea of how to position it.  I liked Leonor’s idea to change it up occasionally so the same pictures looks different. Thanks Leonor!

Have you finished your challenge piece yet?





This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Pandagirl’s 2017 3rd Quarter Challenge Part 2

  1. Lyn says:

    I think it’s lucky that machine stitching wasn’t possible because your hand stitching adds a delicacy to the flowers.
    It’s lovely!

  2. Pippa says:

    Lovely and delicate

  3. It is difficult to create lightness and subtlety in art work, but you have succeeded in your depiction of sakura blossoms. Love it! I finished my challenge piece last night and will be posting soon!

  4. ruthlane says:

    Looks wonderful. My challenge piece is not behaving itself. Tried another direction which didn’t work.

  5. Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

    Thanks Ruth! I’m sorry to hear that. I never expected it would be as hard as it turned out to be. I have another idea, but want to finish something else in between. 🙂

  6. Leonor says:

    I like the threads! They do add a bit of subtle shine to the petals and make them look more delicate. Glad I helped with the multi-positioning 😀

    • Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

      Thanks Leonor! I wasn’t sure the pictures would do it justice there’s only a hint of sheen in the thread, but I guess it’s doing its job. 🙂

  7. Karen Lane says:

    Your blossom is lovely and you’ve certainly captured the essence of the period. I know you said it’s thick but it actually looks very delicate.

    • Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

      Thanks Karen! It’s very soft. I probably didn’t need the base. But I’m pleased with how it turned out,

  8. You did a wonderful Job of the stitching it looks very 3 dimensional. I am thinking of doing a persimmon tree.

    • Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

      Thanks Ann! I think a persimmon tree would be wonderful. I look forward to seeing it.

  9. zedster66 says:

    That is really nice, Marilyn 🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.