The Tale of the Stubborn Crocheted Bowl

Remember the floppy crocheted bowl I made?  I posted about it here:

Lyn suggested I full it to make it sturdier.  So I tried and no change other than being fuzzier. I checked the label on the yarn ball, but I was pretty sure I didn’t buy superwash.  No, 100% wool.

So, I thought I would try boiling it. No change.

Lyn also suggested I decorate it.  I tried  using a thin wool, but didn’t like it.  So, I used beads in little clusters around the bowl.  But it was even more floppy.

The next step was to bring out the GAC 400 stiffener.  I had bought it, but never used it. Why not give it a try?  I used an empty mayonnaise jar for the shape, then painted on the GAC and let it dry.

When it dried it was perfectly solid and clear.

Now I had to decide what to use it for.  There are a million things I could put in there, but it  wasn’t too hard to decide.

My favorite treat close at hand.

What projects have you saved lately?

This entry was posted in crochet and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Tale of the Stubborn Crocheted Bowl

This could be named The Tale of The Stubborn Wool 😀 What is that GAC thing made of, is it glue?
    I like how it turned out, but in my case I’d be very afraid to keep chocolates so close at hand – I’m addicted to chocolate and I’m sure the bowl would be empty in no time!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Leonor! GAC is acrylic polymer dispersion that dries to a hard finish. I’m pretty good about limiting my chocolate intake. I’m not a big sweets person. Besides dark chocolate and almonds are good for you. 🙂

• Leonor says:

Oh, so GAC is different from PVA glue. I need to look for this, sounds interesting!
      Ah, it’s not the dark chocolate that’s the issue, but the sugar that goes with it – I’m already at 83% cocoa to keep it healthy, but trust me, I’m super envious of your “not being a big sweets person.” Teach me your secret! 😂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

I’m not sure if GAC is different from PVA. I don’t have PVA. Could be a brand difference. As far as sweets, the higher the cocoa the better. Sugar doesn’t like me much. I usually don’t feel good afterwards. But a little dark chocolate does the trick. 🙂

I had to look it up too, Leonor, I didn’t know what it was. It’s by Golden so we might get it here. The thing I read said it can be used instead of rabbit skin glue ?! to stiffen canvases, so I looked up sizing canvases (apparently no one uses ‘size’ anymore) and it is used in a similar way to how PVA can be, but is stiffer. So, I’m guessing it’s similar to fabric stiffener we have here.

• Leonor says:

Thanks for looking it up, Zed! I’m going to say my other half might know what it is now that you’ve mentioned canvases, since he stretches his own…

2. Tracey says:

Looks great Marilyn. So when we in the UK talk about Dove soap for felting, you are thinking about your fave chocolate!

3. Nada Vukadinovic says:

I don’t know who was more stubborn, your vase or you? Congratulations on your persistance, your vase turned out great (and what a yummy content!).

It’s lovely and I like the beading around the top!
    I’m glad you found an answer to the problem and it may come in handy for a future project.
    I would have to put potpourri in the bowl – those chocolates would keep winking at me.

Thanks Lyn! I like the beading, too. It’s subtle. I could have done more,but by that time I was ready to finish it. 🙂 I keep the bowl on a high counter so that I have to get up and make a special trip to get one.

Glad your persistence paid off. Looks good!

7. Good on you for sticking with it! GAC is a marvelous product.

8. Success at last, yay. A great excuse to keep chocolate on the table.

It turned out really well, Marilyn 🙂 I haven’t saved anything for a while, but I haven’t made anything as fancy, either 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! We know you like to cut and match. 🙂 I haven’t had the nerve to try that.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )