Felted Phone Cases

I have about run out of felted phone cases to sell at the store. I have some larger ones for those “gigantic” phones but needed some smaller ones that fit a smaller phone. I already have a bunch of kits made up for a felted phone class that I ended up not teaching so I used those. The theme for the phone class was “cosmic”. I find with beginner classes it is easier to have the students do similar designs so that people don’t get stuck on what their phone case should look like and work more on the techniques of felting. So these kits were made up to work with a dark sky and planets, moons or stars.

The kits include batts and a few embellishments with different colored wool and some dyed silk noil. Again, for a beginner class I like to keep it simple. So I was just using the supplies I already had made up so it was quick and easy and I didn’t have to get all my wool and embellishments out. Here’s the first layer of batt around the resist.

And here’s the first phone case laid out and wet down.

On to the next one, after I laid out the blue design, I wasn’t sure I really liked it on the background color but decided just to keep going.

And here’s the third layout. I kind of did an “assembly line” for these so I could felt and full them all at once. I didn’t do any rolling, just rubbing. I use a textured black rubber piece under the felt and it speeds up the process a bit.

And here’s all three of the phone cases complete.

And if you’d like to see them a bit larger just click on the individual photo. I have found that having a variety of different sizes works the best for selling these as there are so many brands of phones with so many different sizes, it is hard to get one size to fit all phones.

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Felted Phone Cases

1. Jill says:

I like these very much. Will make great gifts for men.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Jill! I guess they would make a good gift for men. I gave one to my husband but he doesn’t use it. Women mainly buy them at the shop.

I agree – they make lovely gifts to sell in your shop. I like them all – great patterns/colours!
    And, bonus, you’ve made good use of redundant stock.

3. Kathryn says:

how much do you sell them for at your shop? Thanks for the photos!

Nice ones, Ruth! I like the space theme and I bet these cases are great to keep the phones from damage.

5. Great little phone cases Ruth. It is nice that they are suitable for a man as well.

6. DeeAnna says:

I have wanted to make these to sell, but can’t decide on the finished sizes to make. Like you said, phones come in so many different sizes! If you wouldn’t mind sharing, what sizes are successful with your customers? I like the bold color combinations you used — the gold and red sun and the blue gray swirl are my favorites. I’ve noticed my customers gravitate toward bold, bright color combinations, and I think they would like your designs too.

7. Debbie says:

I am interested in teaching a beginnning felting class for children. Could you please share the amount of wool I would need to kit up and like DeeAnna (in the above comment) the size of your resist. Could the project be completed in a couple of hours?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Debbie, I’m not sure how much wool is in the kits exactly. Perhaps a couple of ounces? I just use batts that I make up and then add some other wool colors and a bit of silk noil. I don’t have the resist here right now. The sizes I gave DeeAnna is the finished phone size so you just need to figure out your shrinkage rate to get the size you need for the resist.

• Debbie says:

Thank you!

I like the cosmos theme. It’s great you had them ready to go and were able to mass produce them. I’m sure they’ll sell quickly as gifts.

I remember you talking about the class, it’s a shame it didn’t end up happening. The cases look great! And from the comments it looks like selling them as kits would be as popular as the finished cases!

• ruthlane says:

I actually pulled out of the class due to Dennis’s health problems at the time but I had already made all the kits. I don’t have any written instructions to go with the kits but they might sell, hard to tell.

10. felthappinesshats says:

Ruth, It’s interesting to learn that you set up kits for students to use. It makes perfect sense for ease of instruction & avoiding a mad fiber grab. Also, good, as you say, that the focus is then on technique, versus finding the perfect subject to express (as some students question their innate creativity).

Nonetheless, the inner art-student in me rebels at the idea of such limitations.

Anyway, it’s a question that I’m debating because keep on getting asked to teach in my community. Thank you for bringing this topic up!

• ruthlane says:

If you have a very limited time to teach, then it helps to teach in this manner. This class was designed for 3 hours. That isn’t really much time to get everything done and if you have waffling about colors, designs etc. then you won’t get finished. If a student has experience and the class is longer, than you can certainly give much more leeway on design and color choices. Not trying to stifle creativity but sometimes limits make you more creative.

• DeeAnna says:

If you are teaching an intro class, you have to narrow the scope or you’ll never get through it in time and your students will get tired and frustrated. When I taught a class to 14 newbies earlier this year, my goal was to get people to focus on the process of creating good felt and to appreciate that many forms can be created from one basic resist. I was impressed with their efforts and everyone went home with a project that was all or mostly done. As Ruth said, setting some limits doesn’t stifle creativity at all — it can enhance learning and ensure success.

• ruthlane says: