New Bags, New Felt, New Braiding

I remembered to take photos of the blue/green bag I was in the process of making, though it really doesn’t look too much different to the separate panels 🙂 This is the front, or more blue side:

And this is the back/more green side:

I also made a smaller bag with some of the green pieces. Side 1:

Side 2:

I felt the urge to make something multi coloured after all the matching colour themes. I bought some of World of Wool’s dyed scoured BFL ages ago and had never used it, so I thought I’d add a few colourful bits to the top of a piece I’d laid out with various green shads of Merino. I might have got a bit carried away with the locks, and dyed viscose, oh, and dyed silk throwster’s:

I like colourful and shiny, so can never resist braiding when I see it! I bought these last week:

You can see the shine on an angle:

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to New Bags, New Felt, New Braiding

Such a scrummy new piece of felt – gorgeous colours! And I reckon those braids will be used on some bags perhaps?
    Thank you for posting photos of the lovely finished bags – I really like the bead detail.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      Yeah, that’s the plan, some of the fabrics I have are so nice they need something a bit special to go with them!

That braiding is gorgeous! Any intended use for it yet? 🙂

Nice bag Zed. I also like the new colorful piece. What will you do with that and the braids?

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I’ve already cut the new piece for a book cover, and have even blanket stitched the edges! You just made me wonder whether the braiding might look nice as edging on book cover sleeves!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

I’m sure the braids would look good as an edging.

4. Happy colors! Something for my mom for her i-phone , she is always looking for it .

5. Nice bags, I don’t think you got carried away with the new piece at all. The braid is beautiful. I never see that sort of edging anywhere at anything resembling a decent price. I wonder why they call it braiding when it is embroidered and not braided. What else would you call it? All I get is how to braid your hair when I google.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      I know some edging is more like braids or woven, so it probably just all gets lumped in together. The other name commonly used is ‘trim’, doing a search for ‘sari trim’ will give you lots of gorgeous results.

6. Tracey says:

Lovely bags as usual Zed. I like the colourful piece, isn’t it great to make something sometimes where you can go a bit wild? ! I can see why the braiding had to come home with you, very nice.

Thanks, Tracey 🙂
      yeah it was nice going a bit mad with the colours! And nice not having to be more careful like with nuno pieces.

Great results and the new piece is exuberant 🙂 Looking forward to seeing the trim applied.

8. 1marylou says: