Early Celtic Art Challenge Project Part Two

Last week I showed you the beginnings of my second quarter challenge project here. The next step was to make the pileus hat to the prefelt stage.

This is the resist all set up and ready for wool.

I added two layers of wool on each side that were fairly heavy.

Then I wet it down, flipped over etc. to add all the layers of wool.

Once the resist was covered, it was time to begin rubbing. I could have rolled at this point but I don’t do much rolling any more. I did stick with cold water as I didn’t want the wool to felt too quickly. I only needed to get it so it was holding together.

So I rubbed and felted by hand working the edges carefully for a nice smooth felt.

Then I cut the resist out. The felt is still very soft and needed gentle handling.

After cutting, I refolded the hat in the opposite direction to check the edge and sure enough the corners needed to be trimmed. The indent in the center of this photo is the far edges on the photo above it. Since the resist curved up there, the cut wasn’t even all the way around.

So I just cut it off to make it more even. So I have the basic hat shape in prefelt form ready to apply the prefelt design. I will show you that on my next post.



This entry was posted in Challenges, Wet Felting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Early Celtic Art Challenge Project Part Two

  1. Lyn says:

    The pileus hat is a perfect shape – I’m looking forward to the next post to see the decoration applied.

  2. Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

    It will be interesting to see the Celtic design applied. Do you think it will make the brim wavy? I suppose I’ll have to wait and see.

  3. zedster66 says:

    The hat looks nice as it is! There’s something about white wool which is very appealing. I’m glad you didn’t make us wait for the asnwer to Marilyn’s question 🙂

    • ruthlane says:

      Thanks Zed, it’s actually really goofy looking when you’re wearing it but it does match the style that I was going for.

We love comments and love to hear your opinions. Thanks for stopping by.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.