Wild and Crazy Yarns Woven then Felted

I still had a bagful of yarns left over from my Wild Table Runner so I decided to do a little weaving with some odds and ends. It was a mixture of synthetic, wool and wool blends.

I used a black metallic acrylic yarn as the warp.  It was a bit stretchy but I intended to felt it when finished so I wasn’t concerned.

Here it is still on the loom.

20170202_151656

I went back and forth on what to use as the background. Finally I decided I wanted to keep the colors from getting lost and chose a white prefelt covered loosely with a white merino batt.

20170202_160202

Here it is after felting.  As you can see even the white merino is more beige than the white bamboo.

20170205_135832

Its kind of wild, but fun.  There is a lot of dimension since some of the warp and that crazy eyelash yarn  are sticking up.  Most everything else including the wide orange and purple synthetics felted in nicely.

Some closeups:

20170205_135843 20170205_135917 20170205_135907 20170205_135900

From the side:

20170205_135941It was fun to see how the different yarns reacted.  I’m not quite sure of what it reminds me of, or what I’ll do with it. But it was a quick and easy project after traveling.

If you missed my Caribbean Inspiration you can see it here:  https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2017/01/30/some-inspiration-and-fun-from-the-caribbean/

This entry was posted in Weaving, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Wild and Crazy Yarns Woven then Felted

1. You had a very nice trip, i envie you.
    I like that piece you felted, i should use it on a bag, it gives me a sunny mind 😉

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks VIltmaaraan! It is very cheery. Yes, it was nice being in the sun for a while. The bag is a good idea.

2. Sherry Tamburo says:

Love it! Reminds me of a birthday celebration!

3. zararooke says:

Whatever it is, it is a happy piece! 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zara! You’re right it’s a happy piece. It makes me want to make more. :-). It was just fun.

I love that, Marilyn! For some reason, it’s reminding me of tribal masks or headdresses or something 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! Yes, it does look like something tribal. I had the thought of Native American but couldn’t find the word. Tribal works.

Very cool Marilyn! I agree with Zed, very tribal. It could be a mask if you added some eyes in the red band. Then you could frame it.

6. meterrilee says:

This is such a creative piece! It looks to me like something you would find in a coral reef. I like the suggestion for turning it into a tribal mask. Wow–that would look great framed.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Terri! Coral reef, well I’ve recently seen a lot of those. I hadn’t thought of that. But with all the spidery appendages it does look like they are floating in the water.

Oh it’s fab! White was definitely the right background and yes, it does look tribal.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I’m pleased with the white background it does make all the colors and textures pop.

8. Cool piece Marilyn. It is amazing how the wool grabs just about anything It looks more African To me than North American.

9. Pingback: The Wild Yarns Experiment Framed | feltingandfiberstudio