More Textured Nuno

I enjoyed making the Nuno piece with lots of different fabrics and very fine layers of Merino, so I thought I’d make a much larger one. I almost completely forgot, but I took photos while I was making it. They’re really not good, but it shows how much the piece was fulled. This was the size of the piece when it was felted:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis was how much it shrunk after I fulled it well on the bubblewrap:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is how much it shrank after fulling on my bead board:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is how the finished piece looked when it was dry:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI tried fabric pieces I’d used before, both which I knew felted well, and some which I knew didn’t attach well or stayed loose on the edges (a lot of synthetics tend to roll at the edges when torn). I also used pieces I hadn’t tried before. I’m not completely sure what some of them are after felting! This is a closer look at the left side, on an angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd the right side:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI think this was a piece from another charity shop dress, it was really softly rippled and pillowy:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a scarf from a charity shop scarf I love using. You’ve seen it lots of times, it was goldeny pink open weave, some parts were doubled and some had starnds of golden fibre loose between the layers:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is one of the synthetics which rolls on the edges (I probaly should have put it in the middle). The outside edge is very loose, but the inside edge was firmly attached:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERALooking along the surface, you can see better how high some of the ruffles are:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThat photo also shows how much migration there was. It’s more apparent depending on the angle you look at it. This shows really clearly just how much there was:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERALooking slightly higher you can see more texture on the fabric:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOverall, I liked the piece, especially the texture, though I did think using just one colour of wool along with the migration dulled it quite a lot, and looking at it on an angle, it does look like it’s been under a dusty bed for a few years! Taking those things into consideration, I tried a piece using just white/natural coloured fabrics, and natural white Merino. I really loved how this turned out, this is from above on a slight angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd at a sharper angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe textures are great and look even better in real life 🙂

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to More Textured Nuno

1. It looks really great. Always a surpise how it will become. I want to make a vest like that, i am waiting for my ponge.

Thanks a lot 🙂
      I’m thinking of trying ones with same fabrics, like just silk, cotton, synthetic etc, the silk keeps disappearing. Are you dyeing your silk first?

• I made preperations for the vest. Dyed the merino and silk , in same color. Bought blouses in same colours (second hand).

2. Sylvia Lee says:

I so want to do this. Is there a silk fabric under the patches? Is merino wool on top and bottom of patches?
    Actually, could you tell me what the layers are?
    Thanks, sylvia

Hi Sylvia,
      I laid out the various fabric pieces first, then added 4 very fine layers of Merino. Those 4 layers probably add up to less than 1 ‘regular’ layer in thickness (what I’d use when making something like a book cover). And in some places there will be gaps so even less. I didn’t add any Merino on top of the fabric, it just migrated through. There’s no silk or other fabrics added, just those fabric strips you see, and Merino wool. Have a look at my last post it showsa similar piece I made and how the back looks https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2017/01/28/nuno-differences/

3. I love how colorful it is in the top picture. Do you have a plan for either of them? Is it sturdy enough to be a decorative pillow cover, for example? Funny that you commented about the one looking like it came out from under the bed – I tried this process last week and made the mistake of using gray merino and that was my exact reaction to the result. Fortunately, I hadn’t used any fabrics that I valued because it got mixed in with the dryer lint as a trash can liner. 🙂

Thanks, Wren 🙂 Yeah, the migration made it all look the same and much of the brightness of the fabrics was lost. It’s sturdy enough for a pillow, yeah, even a book cover. It might end up quite ‘bobbly’ though if it was handled much because of all the migration. You should save things even if they don’t work out how you wanted, sometimes their perfect use is only apparent years down the line, or just as reference for what to avoid in future!

Great textures and color combos. It’s amazing how much more shrinkage you can get with the bead board especially with Nuno. Any plans for this one?

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂 No plans yet, hopefully it’ll prove a useful experiment and inspire other things.

The white piece is lovely – great result! Dusty bed look or not, I do like the coloured piece with its pretty ruffles.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      Yeah, all the different ripples, waves and ruffles are great, I bet it would turn out differently if I tried it again with them all in different positions!

Very nice textures Zed! I really like the white on white one. I’m sure it does look better in person as the camera just can’t capture the subtlety.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      I love the white on white. If I get a non-cloudy day, hopefully I can get some supermacros of the detail!

7. Pingback: Fauvism Update and New Nuno | feltingandfiberstudio