The Wild Table Runner

I have a bin full of yarn.  A lot of it I’ve either dyed or picked up at garage sales or thrift stores.  A majority of it isn’t wool based.  So I thought it would be fun to make something using a variety of these yarns and see how they felted.

It started out to be a pillow cover, but later when I started to lay it out I changed my mind.  Originally, I had a swerving design in mind.  But thought there was too much empty space and the design would probably distort the whole thing. I used two batts of merino and a prefelt over that as a base.

20161231_160103

I added more yarns and moved them apart so they’d have room to create their own design.

20170104_144845

Here are the yarns I used, not necessarily in this order.  Some I used more than once.

20170104_162650

12. Merino slub yarn
  13. Wool roving sold as yarn
  14. Wool/metallic
  15. Peruvian wool
  16. Thick and thin wool yarn commercial
  17. Mohair/metallic novelty yarn

I had some “Riot Eyelash Yarn” I decided to use as an edging.  Which I sewed on using a zigzag stitch after it was felted.  It is aptly named.

20170107_154514-1

Here it is laid on a white background to show the eyelash edging.

20170109_154130

A few closeups:

20170109_154149 20170109_154207 20170109_154153

Strangely enough the only one I had to fix after felting was the multicolored acrylic yarn which I’ve used before without a problem.  I had to needle felt it down.  The Peruvian wool also had a few places to tack down, but I think it was because it was so tightly wound the merino prefelt couldn’t grab it as well.  Even the ladder yarn and synthetics seemed to be fairly firm in place.

Here it is on it’s new home a glass coffee table.

20170109_154528

Its fairly dark here and it seems I got a bit of glare from the flash.  What are you working on in the New Year?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Wild Table Runner

Love it! I don’t know know why, but that one piece of white really makes the design.

I’ve never come across the riot eyelash yarn before – it’s a great edging.

Thanks Lyn! I’m glad you like the white. It does help set the design off. Not that I did that intentionally. 😉 I got that riot yarn at a garage sale. I’ve never seen anything like it again either. But it made it a fun finish.

3. I thought the third picture were flowers 😉 that would be nice too. Ruth would be pleased with the white eyecatcher. Nice done Marilyn, lovely piece on that tray.

4. Francoise McBrien says:

Hi, thank you for all your sharing! really like this last piece. Simple and yet so original.

5. meterrilee says:

Really nice Marilyn. Love the idea of putting the eyelash around the edges for a bit of fringe. This is a great way to use up some yarn stash.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Terri! I have enough yarn to last a lifetime at this pace. :-). It was a fun piece to make.

It’s a beautiful piece Marilyn. I like the mix of yarns and the white does stand out.

Thanks Ruth! I wish I could say I planned the white yarn. I just liked where it landed. 🙂

8. I love the yarn takes on it own life through the felting. I really like the eyelash yarn as the edging.