Another 4th Quarter Challenge Piece

I showed you a while ago where I had made some felt for the 4th Quarter challenge with cut offs from machine threads that I had saved. You can see it here. I decided to use the larger piece for a sample for my upcoming Free Motion Stitching on Felt online class.

seed-pod-inspiraiton-1

This is the photo that I used for inspiration for the piece.

Finished Free Motion Stitched Seed Heads

I used several values of brown thread and stitched the seed heads with free motion stitching.

Seed Heads Close Up

Here’s a little closer view.

Framed Free Motion Stitched Seed Heads

This is what the piece looks like framed. It was a fun piece to stitch and I do like how the stitching contrasts nicely with the multi color background. There’s still time if you haven’t done anything for the 4th quarter challenge. We’d love to see what you create!

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Another 4th Quarter Challenge Piece

1. Jill says:

Simply beautiful. Sophisticated, smart, graphic, modern & yet still soft & warm. How I adore that shape of seedhead

Oh wow! That’s ace, Ruth! Is all the stitching machine stitching? The background is fab šŸ™‚

3. That is beautiful !! Love that! Next year I’ll try free motion stitching….

Great result Ruth. Layering of techniques gives such depth to the work. šŸ™‚

I agree – there is depth to the piece and the machine stitched heads are lovely!

Such wonderful detail Ruth! It’s a beautiful piece.

7. It is a lovely picture Ruth. My 4th quarter challenge is still in the laid out but not felted stage. I will have to get on with it soon.

8. Fantastic Ruth .,, I was wondering what on Earth one could do with these thready samples … Now I know!

9. Deborah Walker says:

Most effective – I love it!

10. PinhouseP says:

I love this! It is beautiful and elegant in all its simplicity šŸ™‚