Better Late Than Never

I’m tardy on completing the First Quarter Challenge using a resist in a different way.  I had a few ideas, but then Cathy (Luvswool) loaned me a resist she had used in a class a few years  ago.  I still procrastinated not having a clue what to do with it.

20160506_142401

I covered the resist using the first layer of Icelandic on all sides.  then I left it for a week while I traveled.  I was still unsure of what I wanted to do with it.  Then on Earth Day I was inspired to use some deep jewel tone merino fibers and made some batts.  I didn’t want really striped areas so they went back into the carder to blend them a little more.

20160422_124634 20160422_124608

I debated about using the fibers horizontally, but ended up using them vertically.  I suppose it wouldn’t have mattered either way.  I still wasn’t  sure about what shape it would take until I finished fulling it.

Here it is drying on my towel holder.

20160504_153250

Views from each side. The Icelandic wool underneath really muted the bright tones, but I liked the way it turned out.

20160506_142241 20160506_142033 20160506_141920 20160506_141850

From the top.

20160506_142307

I don’t know what to call it, but it sits nicely by itself and will probably decorate the coffee table in my living room where the colors will be right at home.

I think I’ll try another shape after I finish the Second Quarter challenge.

This entry was posted in Challenges, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Better Late Than Never

You did a good job on that Marilyn (no thin spots at all yet I know from other felters on the forum that’s a tricky bit) and the colours are wonderfully warm and earthy and it’ll be a lovely coffee table piece.

You don’t know what to call it? I found myself humming ‘Fly Me to the Moon’, so perhaps “Blue Star” (look at the last photo).

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I knew thin spots could be a problem so I tried to make sure there were none, but there was a tiny one that I needlefelted over. The bottom layer was no problem, it was the batts that would want to separate.

I love the name. It does look somewhat like a rocket. Thanks!

Ingenius use of the towel holder! It turned out nice, Marilyn 🙂 I can’t tell if you used a double resist or just one and shaped it?

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! The towel holder just happened to be there when I was looking around trying to figure out how to have it stand while drying. :-). It was a double resist then shaped it. I know it’s hard to tell from the photo. Actually one piece was a bit smaller than the other.

Great job Marilyn. I like the muted colors and the shape is awesome.

4. Outstanding work on the book resist! Never too late for a project, especially when it turns out so well.

Thanks Cathy for loaning me the resist and the compliment!

That reminds me of a (weird) starfish… I think I’m getting influenced by out previous sea themed conversation!

7. It made me think of those tall cactuses. How far away from the sea is that. Great job.