Textile Museum

The sale I go to in September is put on by a local Textile museum.  The Mississippi Valley Textile museum. It is in an old textile mill and is more about the manufacture of textiles than the textiles themselves. There changing exhibits tend toward the art of textiles. They had an exhibit by nuno of Japan last year.

When I visited to drop off some thing for the store my hubby went into the permanent exhibit and took some pictures. If I know what something is I have labelled it.

sheep plaque sheep 2  This ram is the first thing you see when you go in. He is short and long.

strength testerThis is for testing the strength of wool. I am not sure if it was the fleece fibers or finished yarn.

pickerA large picker. The infeed teeth are flat. My picker is about 1/3 this size of this one but the teeth are pointy

carder carder 2 This is 2 shots of the carder. In the second picture you can see the beginnings of a second carder. There were two hooked together. You couldn’t get back far enough to take a picture of the whole thing but you can see it in the diagram below.

carding machin info carder diagram

sample carderThis is a little either model or a sample carder.

cop winder A cop winder. A cop is a larger longer package of wool on a metal spool.

loom 2 loom This is an industrial loom. It doesn’t have any treadles but I didn’t see a flying shuttle. Maybe its inside the box.

And some things that I have no idea what they are but they look interesting. I think the first one is a spinning frame and my hubby says the second one is the punch cards on an automatic loom

12243412_10156206960880527_3281772470439927932_n 12227559_10156206970655527_6741083765106202265_n 12227153_10156206961045527_4345758703388325902_n

Lastly a picture of an advertisement that was framed on the wall.

rosmond mill sign This mill is where the museum is now housed. The 2 storey building on the top right is the museum building.  The big building is now condos. I wish I had had more time. There were videos that showed how the machines work. They give you a remote so you can make them play as you go round.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Textile Museum

Looks like a very interesting visit Ann. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. 🙂

2. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

How interesting! I love such “technical” museums.

Now that’s the kind of tour that appeals to me! When we visited Scotland some years back, we toured old textile factories–including wool and jute– and couldn’t get enough of it! Those machines with the punch cards amaze me. Thanks for sharing, Ann!

This looks like an interesting museum for all of us fiberaholics. Glad your husband was able to take some photos for us 🙂

5. Lucette says:

I am pretty sure the strength tester would be for finished yarn. We used to have something similar for cotton.

Machines always fascinate me and of course if they are for fiber, what could be better? I know I enjoyed visiting the Illinois Wool Mill here. I hope you have the chance to watch those videos. Thanks for sharing and thanks to hubby for the pics!

• It amazes me how someone worked out the way to make machines do what they do. I hope I have more time next time Marilyn. I will of course take more pictures if I do.

We have some working cotton machines up here, Ann, they’re very similar, there are some at the Science and Industry museum. We don’t seem to have anything (that I know of) from the wool industries, but I know from doing genealogy it was very common. It looks like a great place to visit 🙂