Knitting

I know you’ve been dying to know how my handspun yarn knitted, so here’s the little rectangle I made:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere’s the other side:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd here’s a close up:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI still can’t do the cast off so it doesn’t pull and seem tight compared to the rest of it. I plan to felt this piece when I get the chance, by hand, not in the washer. This is another piece I’ve made specifically for felting, I promised Nada I’d make a piece with the pencil roving to see how it felted:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt’s quite chunky:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnother piece I made recently turned out really nice, the colours and shine are gorgeous:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis has a really nice texture:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhen you open the yarn out, it’s actually a kind of netting, I bought it with felting in mind before I could knit:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’ll show the photos when the top pieces have been felted.

This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Knitting

1. Lucette says:

Lovely!

2. Fantastic. I especially love the colours of the first sample πŸ™‚

Thanks, Sharon πŸ™‚
      It’s mostly World of Wool’s Rust, Chocolate, Mint, Spearmint and Turquoise shades of Merino

They are all nice, but I like you hand spun yarn and am anxious to see it felted. You definitely have the chunky thing going on. πŸ™‚

4. zararooke says:

I am not a knitter, but this makes me want to learn how to spinn and have a go. I must try making pencil rovning sometime too.

These look great Zed. Are they all about the same size?

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      The handspun piece is 3.5″ x 6.5″ (9 x 17cm); the black and white pencil roving one is 7 x 7″ (18 x 18cm) and the netting one is 5.25 x 5.25″ (13.5 x 13.5cm)

Oooh – I like the shiny stuff – what is the yarn made from?
    Your homespun knitting shows a lovely combo of colours – I wonder what it will look like felted?

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I’m not sure I have the label, I’ll have a look though. I’ve got a feeling the homespun will just look a bit flatter and a bit duller.

7. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

Zed, all you pieces are lovely. I also admire how your stitches are all even. Let’s see what happens when you felt them.

Thanks, Nada πŸ™‚
      I don’t think I do anything in particular to get the even stitches, I think it must be down to the bamboo needles and the yarn really, working well together. The pencil roving knits so nicely!

Lovely yarns zed and a nice even tension πŸ™‚ You could try casting off with a larger gauge needle to prevent the tight edge.

Thanks, Judith πŸ™‚
      I think Leonor might have suggested that a while ago actually, and I forgot! I don’t have any bigger ones, I’ll have to keep an eye out.

9. Nice work Zed. google loose or stretch cast off videos. I do one with knitting two together then over one or something. It is for sock tops. I forget exactly, it is so rare I knit anything. It works really well for my Mother in law who was frustrated with sock tops not being stretchy like the rest of the sock.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      Leonor has recommended looking up Jenny’s Amazingly Stretchy Bind-Off on youtube, maybe that’s the same thing.

Nice swatches, Zed! I like the colours a lot πŸ™‚

In regards to your cast-off being tighter, that’s a fairly common issue. What you can do is, you can move up one or two needle sizes when casting off, so the loops are larger, or you can try something called Jenny’s Amazingly Stretchy Bind-Off (look it up on YouTube!) It’s what I use on my socks. I hope that helps!

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      you’ll probably have to remind me again next time I moan about it! The cast off does look nice, just spoils the shape as it pulls it in.

• Leonor says:

Go look for it now and favourite it, that way you’ll always have it with you πŸ˜€ It’s one of those knitting things that can be very aggravating, but there’s always a way around it πŸ˜‰

I did, I watched a little bit too, it doesn’t look complicated, so thanks for that πŸ™‚

• Leonor says:

Woohoo! πŸ˜€

11. MCH says:

Lovely enjoyed the colours you used. What I like it the textures I can get when knitting before felting. Thank you for showing me this.