Abstract Art

Before I discovered wet felting, I used to do a lot of painting. This is one of my favourite acrylics from 2007:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI decided to try and do a wet felted version of it. I did a couple of layers of Merino tops in a simplified palette of colours, then used some bamboo skewers to split the painting and felt piece into quarters as a guide for adding more detail for the 3rd layer.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI had pretty much all my colours of Merino out for this.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the finished layout:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAll the wool put away and ‘tidy’ πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI took it outside to felt it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI had an audience:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI put it on the washing line to dry. I usually stand the painting up on its end (right end), and while I was felting, some of the wool must have gotten nudged and I started to neaten it up, but thought it would look quite cool and like it was dripping if I left the wavy edges. They neatened themselves up a bit while I was fulling though, but still looks pretty good.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFinished piece:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADetail:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Experiments, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Abstract Art

1. zararooke says:

Wow! I am amazed at how distinct the colours are in the felted piece, I would have expected them to merge a lot more. It really is a nice replica of the painting, in wool.

Thanks, Zara πŸ™‚
      I was a bit worried it’d be too distinct, so threw it a few times to make sure it looked like felt πŸ™‚

2. Really great. Abstract art with texture.

3. Great copy Zed. It translated well to the wool. Those pidgins look like they are wondering where lunch is.

4. cathy sizer says:

I like!

5. I love the movement in your piece, Zed! The colors are very vivid. Lovely!

Excellent replica Zed! I love that it has the felt texture.

7. Brilliant, it is a very good replica of the original painting, I love the vibrant colours and the felt give it extra texture. x

You should keep them side by side! It looks great πŸ˜€

That turned out well Zed. I think I like the felt piece better but that might just be my prejudices showing through πŸ™‚

It’s wonderful Zed! I am pleased that the colours stayed so distinct. You’ve got to display that with great pride – it’s definitely wall art.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      It did turn out well, kept the colours well, but still looks like felt.

11. Love the felt version of the acrylic painting. Looks more dramatic with more subtle shading. It’s a keeper! πŸ‘πŸ‘β€οΈ

Both acrylic and felt renditions are terrific! Clever idea to use bamboo skewers to divide the sections. Really nice work!

Thanks, Cathy πŸ™‚
      I’ll confess that the skewers were out from when I did some carding, so convenient more than clever thinking!

13. Frances says:

I have a lot of little bits of merino and would like to do something similar – is there a trick to keeping the colors so distinct and not getting muddy looking?

Hi Frances, I did the first two layers in a simplified version of what would be on the top… a bit like we’ve done with the colour challenges, so the colours are very similar on all the layers and no contrasting colours to migrate through and ‘muddy’ them πŸ™‚