Felt Christmas Tree

We have been trying to decide where we can put our Christmas tree this year. Even if we use only half of it and put it on a table it is still to big to put anywhere. So time to make one that will fit on the small table available.

I carded several greens together

green wool green wool blended

Then I made a template. It is 4 feet tall, the width of the table. I had a really hard time getting a picture of it. I made a smaller one too about 2 feet tall.

tree layout

This is rubbing on the plastic cover.

tree rubbing

Then it was roll and roll and roll some more. I kneaded and dropped and threw and heated it up and did it some more. This is the shrinkage on the smaller one. The tip I made solid out past the tip of template.

small tree shrinkage

While I was making the trees I was trying to figure out what I would use as structure for the inside. The smaller one I was thinking a counter top paper towel holder would work. It was to short but while at the dollar store I saw a tinsel tree on a frame. I bought it and removed the tinsel garland that was wrapped around it. It was a little to tall but a son with some bolt cutters fixed that.

small tree on stand

It looks like a green witches hat. For the large one I ended up using an upside down tomato cage. The tree looks like a Whoville tree. I ran out of light to take a picture of the big one so you will have to wait for may next blog post to see it. It will be decorated by then too. What have you use for a tree?

Happy Holidays’ To Everyone

Whatever You Are Celebrating

Even If It Is Just A Paid Day Off

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Felt Christmas Tree

You did a grand job Ann – the tips must’ve been tricky – and I’m looking forward to seeing more photos of the finished trees.

• Thanks Lyn, for the big one, the resist is flat at the top about an inch across so there wouldn’t be a big lump at the point and because I was out of room across the table. 🙂

Great ideas, Ann 🙂
    I’m looking forward to seeing them decorated.

Happy holidays, Ann! Looking forward to that photo of the decorated trees 🙂

4. Love the trees – can’t wait to see them decorated – will start looking for tree forms now – I think I have seen styrofoam ones.

Great idea Ann. I love the whimsy of Whoville trees and I’m sure yours will be wonderful when it’s finished. I’m looking forward to seeing them all decorated. Merry Christmas!

6. Teri Berry says:

What a neat idea Ann, I’m sure a triangle of card rolled into a cone would work for anyone thinking of doing this themselves but doesn’t have access to tinsel trees

Great trees Ann. Look forward to seeing the decorated versions..
    I meant to make a felted tree and still might if I have the time, but as a quick fix I made one out of some Kerria prunings, jute twine and some baubles, to hang on the wall. Will post a pic on the forum when I have a spare moment or three! 🙂

Love those trees, Ann! They remind me a bit of the trees and elf caps some of the Scandinavian felters make. Oh, and where is Whoville?

Ah, I should have guessed that Who’s live in Whoville!

10. I really hope you post the finished decorated tree! I was thinking of how cool it’d be to someday make trees like in “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”….I can see where starting with the tree cone like you did this could be done by adding layered pieces of felt. Someday when I have more time and space it’d be fun to try.