Felt Shoulder Bag

A few weeks ago, when I made my Camouflage type hat, I also made a satchel type bag. I used a more brown shades of wool and slightly less rusty/orangey colours. I used some camo print silk from an old scarf, some cotton gauze and also pieces of dyed muslin that Ruth sent me. On the back of the bag, I used a large piece of silk because I thought it would pill/bobble less where it rubbed against clothes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a slightly different angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI also used a piece of cotton scrim to line the insides

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI attached D rings to the side, for the shoulder strap to attach to. I tried to find webbing the right thickness to make my own strap, but couldn’t get the colour and thickness I wanted, so I’m going to use one from a bag I bought.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI did think about using straps and buckles for closing the bag, but decided that would be a bit fiddly

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASo, in the end I used magnetic clasps, and folded the bottom flap up about an inch. I don’t like the way the machine stitching turned out though, the clasp distorted it, so I might unpick it and do it again.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere it is with the strap attached

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Felt bags and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Felt Shoulder Bag

1. craftywoman says:

great ideas Zed, tho’ I do like the silver clasps, I’d never think of putting silk to prevent piling, more ideas for stirring in my pot 🙂

Thanks, Carole 🙂
      I like the silver clasps too, I think they’d work better on a bigger bag.

Oh wow, it looks great. It’s a “camouflage meets cuteness” bag 😀

3. that turned out great. Like the way you put the rings on the side.

Very cool bag, Zed! It can’t have been easy to create the camouflage effect.

Thanks, Cathy 🙂
      I did have a large amount of Merino in many shades all over my kitchen, it did get a bit of a pain constantly drying my hands.

5. A very stylish camo bag! 🙂

I love the colors! Are you going to use the bag or do you have other plans for it?

I never thought I’d see camouflage that looked so good! Nice work!

Very nice bag zed. Love the camouflage felt! 🙂

9. Gail Abney says:

I love how this turned out! I agree with you about ripping out the machine stitching. The colors and pattern look like tree lichen, or the mosses that cling to the very large rock/boulder that is in my yard. Love it!

Thanks, Gail 🙂
      I’m going to look for better matching thread today to do it again.

10. That sure was a lot of effort, but hey, it really paid off. Looks great.

Thanks, Judy 🙂
      I think most of the ‘effort’ was in thinking, rather than doing!

11. Teri Berry says:

Looks great Zed, I hope you will make some more, I think this could be a popular seller…

12. Nada says:

Wow, wonderful! I like the colours as well as the embellishments you used. What is the size of this bag?

Love it! The felt bag looks very stylish with its non-felt handle.