Another Shibori Scarf and Hand Dyed Threads

Since my first attempt at a shibori scarf was successful, I decided to stitch another one that was an eco-dyed failure. This scarf was hand-made felt so it was significantly thicker than the last scarf I dyed with this method.

Beginning to Tie and KnotHere’s the scarf after all the stitching was complete and pulling the threads to tie off had started. The bright blue-green color came from commercially dyed eucalyptus leaves.

Tighter?I really worked at getting this one tied tighter than the last one. I think I was more successful but the felt was much thicker so it was easier to get it tight.

Shibori ScarfI put the tied scarf into a pot of acid dye that was a combination of black and red. I think it improves the scarf, don’t you?

Shibori Scarf - closer viewThere are still spots of the blue-green but now they are just accents as opposed to big blobs of ugliness.

Dyed ThreadsI also dyed a bunch of cotton and wool threads the same day I dyed the scarf. I ‘needed’ more blue violets and red violets in my stash of threads. I used #5, #8 and #12 perle cottons, regular embroidery floss and wool lace weight thread. The wool is all on the right side of the photo. It got thrown in the pot with the scarf and is a really dark, deep red.

Cotton ThreadsI really love how hand dyed threads are variable. I was working on getting a range of values in the same colors. I added a few green threads in too to make a nice color combination.

Wool ThreadHere’s a closer view of the wool thread. It has sections of brighter red in between the really dark portions. I’m not sure how I’m going to use these threads. I have tons of threads that I dyed for my stitch class but it always seems like I just don’t have the ‘right’ color when I need it. Β Does that happen to you?

All of us here at The Felting and Fiber Studio would like to wish you a Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate) and hope that your holidays are safe and happy! Thanks for stopping by, we appreciate your comments and love to hear from each and every one of you. πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Dyeing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Another Shibori Scarf and Hand Dyed Threads

Love the scarf Ruth – a definite improvement and it just goes to prove that there is no such thing as a failure! πŸ™‚ I love the colours – I’m thinking fuschia zebra! πŸ˜‰ Lovely threads too!

2. Marilyn Nelson says:

Ruth, the scarf looks 100% better. I also love the threads. Did you put the threads in then wind them back on the cards? Happy holidays!

• ruthlane says:

Thanks – I had tied the threads in skeins with figure eights to keep the threads from tangling. Then I put them on the cards for storage.

The scarf is beautiful and I’m glad that the blue green parts are still visible because they are great accents – I don’t think the scarf would look as good without them!

You can never have enough variety of colours of anything. I have a whole tray of red threads, but last month I found that I didn’t have one to match a red jacket that needed repairing. Therefore ‘need’ is the correct word.

4. I have been doing something called cohesive dyeing. Trying to dye many different elements for collage in one dye bath. That includes paper and wood. I like the way silk ribbon comes out and can be coordinated with other elements. I am looking at your threads and realize that I need to buy more white embroidery thread and dye it in these batches. I really love everything you do. Merry Christmas.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Judy – I am sure that the white embroidery thread would be a great addition to your cohesive dye baths. Merry Christmas to you as well.

The scarf turned out excellent, Ruth! I’m also in desperate need of more threads. I was looking at this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/157659035/free-ship-white-clea-pratica-size-5?ref=favs_view_4
    with the hope of being able to use it for dyeing to give me a good variety of threads. Is it possible to do direct dyeing with the procion dyes, I need more variation than adding to a pot would give.
    Merry Christmas to you too πŸ™‚

6. kwinter12 says:

The scarf and the threads are all fabulous! Have a great Christmas!

7. Great job on the scarf Ruth. It is great fun to cut the threads and see the wonderful pattern. I have never done thread but its a great idea.