Polymer Clay E-book

Well, it’s taken forever and grown from the ‘few pages’ I thought it’d be to over 80, but I have finally finished my Polymer Clay tutorial, or e-book to be precise πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere are 81 pages and over 200 photos illustrating clear and simple instructions. The book focuses on my very simple method for producing smooth, even clay and how it can be adaped to suit different techniques for creating gorgeous and unique polymer clay pieces such as brooches, pendants, buttons or tiles for mosaic. And you don’t need any specialist equipment or expensive gadgets. Or a pasta maker.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe introduction features the tools and products that I find really useful for Polymer Clay work. Most of the things I use are from around the house, and in my everyday craft supplies. There’s also suggestions for cheap and free alternatives.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere are seven other parts to the e-book with sections showing some easy ways to shape polymer clay without the use of cutters, commonly available products for applying colour to the surface of clay, and using beads and metal as embellishments. Throughout the book, there are complete instructions for 10 different techniques including how to achieve a fake porcelain look; inlaying; applying acrylic paint for an aged look; and using beads to enhance designs. You might remember my previous attempt at that where I dropped the camera on the clay and dented it! In addition, there is also a gallery of polymer clay examples made with combinations of the techniques described for further inspiration.

PAGESThe methods and techniques in the book are suitable for complete beginners, and anyone with no previous experience of polymer clay can create items just like those featured on the front cover in a few minutes with just Polymer Clay and a few commonly available items.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThanks a lot to Kaz, Ruth and Ann for looking at and checking through the first and second drafts for me and making sure it’s understandable πŸ™‚ Thanks a lot to Lyn too, for checking through the drafts as well and checking over my rewrites and extra photos at the last minute, and a big thank you to my girlfriend for putting up with me (again!) over the last couple of months, helping me rewrite difficult parts and coming up with the perfect title yet again πŸ™‚

If anyone is interested, it’s available in PDF format from my blog, I’ve added a new page at the top called Polymer Clay. I’ve been trying to upload it to etsy too, but for some reason it’s stuck on the ‘Preview Listing’ page 😦

I managed to list on etsy now, there was a problem with using characters such as apostrophes and dashes in the tags. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/156604010/polymer-clay-simply-made-tutorial-e-book

Marilyn was asking where I got my rubber stamps, luckily, I saved the envelopes (from 2007!). The main place I got large sheets of unmounted rubber stamps is The Stamping Ground. I bought quite a lot from there, their prices are very good. I also bought a couple of sheets from The Stampsmith. I bought some texture sheets β€” deep etched rubber in abstract designs, from Creative arts by Obertin. I think I bought a Klimt based stamp from them on ebay too.

This entry was posted in Tutorials and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Polymer Clay E-book

1. craftymadre says:

Amazing book. I just got it and can’t wait to try something! You broke down everything into such clear steps (I’m a total beginner) and the pictures are fantastic (I’m a complete visual learner). I love that you used every day items for “tools”. I have all of that stuff around the house- and most of it right in my little craft corner. I really can’t wait. Best $12 I’ve ever spent!

Wow, you’re keen! Thank you so much! And thank you for the nice review πŸ™‚
      I think money is tight for everyone at the moment and it makes things a bit more enjoyable if we don’t have to buy equipment and can just use what we have around. Thanks again πŸ™‚

2. Marilyn Nelson says:

The book is terrific! I just purchased it and did a quick run through. I can’t wait to try the process. For those people in the states that have Joann Fabric stores, they will have the clay bake ovens half price starting Sunday. So, your timing is great Zed. Thanks again for all your hard work to put this together.

3. Nancy Skakel says:

Your e books are on my wish list. One thing I noticed on this clay book though – your name as author is not on the cover page. I would urge you to add that if you can. I use fimo sometimes to make feet, claws, and horns for my felt work, but I ooo’Γ©d and ahhh’Γ©d over your buttons and brooches. Very nice, clean work.

Thanks, Nancy πŸ™‚
      I didn’t even think to put my name on the front, oops! It does have a copyright inside though. I wish I could sculpt things from clay, but just don’t have that skill.

Well done Zed! The first comment is a brilliant testimonial.

5. Way to go Zed. You take a great deal of care with your books and it really shows.

6. lizseville says:

Well done. This looks amazing. Your work is so beautifully produced. I am sorry I didn’t get to it in time. I look forward to a very long look.

7. Bravo! Zed! A great accomplishment to keep tutorials simple and clear for all levels. Wishing you loads of success and many sales! Brilliant!!

8. Marilyn Nelson says:

Zed, I’ve read through the book twice and you are very thorough in your process and explanations. (I’m not surprised. :-).) I bought some supplies today and am anxious to get started. I love the stamps you are using. Where did you get them? I’ve looked all over and most stamps are mounted and theme oriented. I know i don’t need anything special, but would like to have a source for this. Thanks.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I got most of mine about 6 years ago, quite a few were off ebay. I have quite a few ‘mandala’ stamps which are nice. I think I mostly googled ‘rubber stamp sheets’ or ‘unmounted rubber stamps’. I did get some from the Stamping ground http://www.stampingground.com/catalog.htm
      This is the Sun one I have http://www.stampingground.com/db/CESM001.htm
      I’ll try to find out where I got others, I probably still have the envelopes πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Nelson says:

Tanks Zed. I did the uncounted search and went through pages for over an hour looking. Please don’t go to any trouble. I actually did visit the stamping ground, but will go back and look again. I tend to like more abstract things which doesn’t seem to be popular for stamps. πŸ™‚ I appreciate e your help.

9. Marilyn Nelson says:

Ok I hit send too soon. Thanks. I did the I unmounted search. Darn autocorrect.

πŸ™‚
      I have a few ‘abstract’ stamps, I think the stamps made for polymer are generally more abstract. Try ‘Polymer texture sheets’. πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Nelson says:

Thanks Zed. I’ll get back to my research this morning. πŸ™‚

I’m going to edit my post to add the links, Marilyn. I found 3 sites where I got a lot of my stamps. I hope you find some nice stamps πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Nelson says:

Plenty of choices, thanks Zed. Before I read your reply I had done some research, here are a couple links worth looking at. Both are for metal clay, but can be used with polymer and have some unique designs. Thanks again for all your help. Now to choose…:-)

Thanks for those, Marilyn πŸ™‚

• Marilyn says:

You’re welcome. It’s the least I could do for all the help you’ve given me. πŸ™‚

10. Pingback: Giveawayβ€”Polymer Clay Simply Made PDF e-book | feltingandfiberstudio

11. Martha Clyde says:

A friend just sent me your page…..love it!