Threads and Yarns

Around this time last year I was still doing the Take A Stitch Tuesday challenge. I struggled with it, and didn’t always enjoy it, but I did like what I produced when I used some felt offcuts from a piece I’d made with natural wools for placemats and coasters. I used my own handspun thread to sew the stitches. This is one I made using chain stitch, and this is one using cretan stitch. I hadn’t used my threads in a while, but recently I’ve been inspired by my flickr-friend, Marchi Wierson, a sculptural fibre artist who uses a variety of techniques in her work, such as wet felting and crochet, and loves working with natural wools and fibres. Her recent vessel commission and some gorgeous natural fibre yarns had me rummaging through my wools and fibres and getting my spindles out to spin more thread and yarn. I decided to use three shades of Shetland Wool.

shetlandI pulled off some of the tops from each shade.

tops

Then I looked through my embellishment fibres for some I thought would make a nice match. I chose Soybean top, viscose top and flax.

fibresI added some of each fibre to the Shetland tops.

fibreThen I blended them by hand.

blend
I got a couple of my spindles out, this is one I made and painted a few years ago.

spindleI made a small amount of thread, though even a small amount of wool and fibres goes a long way when spinning thread. This is it wound around the spindle.

threadThen I blended up some more Shetland and fibres and spun a thicker yarn. I will probably use the yarn in a wet felting project, though I have used them for needlefelting before.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADo have a look at Marchi’s photostream if you have time, her work is amazing and inspiring πŸ™‚

You might have noticed a few changes to the site recently. We’ve been updating it and adding more photos to the galleries. We’ve also added a new page for Fabrics, and Ann’s ever popular Cat Cave ‘how to’ is now listed on the Wet Felting Tutorials page.

This entry was posted in Mixed Media, Other Fibers, Spinning, Wool and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Threads and Yarns

1. I love the look of these yarns used for embroidery on a felt backing. I need to try this. Your hand made yarns are wonderful.

Thanks, Judy πŸ™‚
      I enjoy spinning when I do it, which isn’t very often, but the natural ones always look good, no matter how badly I do them πŸ™‚

Lovely yarns zed, much more evenly spun than mine! 😦

3. lizseville says:

This will inspire me to keep trying. I bought a spindle for this purpose but first attempts a bit clumsy! Lizseville@wordpress.com

I think it helps if you have a cup of tea and a good film to watch while you do it πŸ™‚

Lovely natural colors Zed. Marchi’s work is wonderful. I love her combination of techniques. Thanks for doing the fabric page! πŸ™‚

Your spinning is great Zed – I can only produce ‘art yarn’ to use in felt!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      The neat stuff is the exception, it’s usually more ‘rustic’ or ‘arty’ πŸ˜‰

6. lizseville says:

Took a longer look and think your friend’s work is very interesting.

7. Karen says:

Your yarn is lovely Zed, i was actually thinking about getting my spindle out the other day but Charlie put paid to that lol your friends work is unusual but really interesting, i’m off to have a closer look πŸ™‚

8. VerΓ³nica says:

The yarn looks great. Nice colors and texture. I like the thickness.

9. Nice spinning Zed. A lady on Facebook wanted to know if you sold your thread. I took a quick peek at Marchi’e pictures and will need to take some more time to have a proper look.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I don’t, but I’m trying to set up an etsy shop, apparently they’ll take PayPal for billing now. So, maybe in the future, but they’d be very ‘rustic’ or for felting.
      I tried to see the comments on there but because I don’t have a Facebook account, I can’t 😦
      I hope people don’t think I’m ignorant!

• I thanked her and told her I would pas it along

Thanks, Ann.