Stitch Homework

I am heading back to La Conner, Washington at the end of the month for my second class in my Level 2 Stitch Class at the Gail Harker Creative Studies Center. For part of the homework after the first session, we were assigned to make pages for a felt stitch book. The felt is hand dyed as were the threads. My color scheme was  a triad of red, blue-green and yellow-green. The red is really hard to photograph. I have two books with 8 pages each. The pages are marked where the book will be bound. We’re learning the binding method in session 2. The covers of each book has a sample of each stitch that is included in the book. I had run out of enough felt to make a rectangle so I just used scraps. I thought it might pull the book together better as the color scheme is a bit over the top at times! Click on any of the photos for a closer view.

Second Book:

About ruthlane

When I discovered felting in 2007, I finally found the creative outlet for which I had been searching. I love that the versatility of fiber allows me to “play” with a wide variety of materials including wool, silk, fabrics, yarns and threads. Creating one of a kind fiber art pieces to share with the world fulfills my creative passion.
This entry was posted in Stitching and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Stitch Homework

1. That is a great idea, I thought of making up some samples, but got lost on some stitches, need more practice.

Debbie

2. Karen says:

Oh you have been busy with your homework Ruth, they look great and i really love the color scheme you chose to 🙂

Thanks Debbie and Karen!

The books are great Ruth – straight ‘A’s from the tutor I reckon!
    The good thing about taking classes is that it forces you to focus, consider deadlines, and attempt things that you wouldn’t push yourself to do.

Thanks Lyn! I’m sure I would have never done these on my own. I’ve thought about making stitch samples numerous times but I’ve never done them. I’m sure I’ll have many more before the class is over.

6. shepherdessann says:

These are great Ruth. They really show the stitches well. Ruth do you get marked on the backs as well?

These are all really nice, Ruth 🙂
    I love the way the pages are dyed and the colours you used for stitching.
    It’s weird the way red (and blue) is so hard to photograph.

Thanks Ann and Zed.

Ann – we don’t normally have to worry about the back of the stitching. But with these, I didn’t want any of that to show. So I attached the stitched rectangles (with messy backs) on to the book page with clear thread, it’s like fishing line but very thin.

9. Fabulous project Ruth!! I am sure that you trip will be full of more inspiration and lots of learning!!

10. Pingback: Felted Mistletoe Ornaments | feltingandfiberstudio