Hairy Alpaca Bag

I thought I’d use my weird Hairy Alpaca bag for practising stitching. I’ve used some of the stitches from the first few weeks of TAST. First, I used Photoshop to work out the pattern I wanted to follow on the flap. I used a 6 point star and copied and pasted it, overlaying it to get the shapes I wanted. I scanned the bag so I could get the sizing right, then I printed the pattern out. I thought it’d be really fiddly, but I just held the pattern in place as I stitched around for the outline. I then filled in the shapes with very close blanket/buttonhole stitch and straight stitches for the tiny blocks.

For the front part, I used rows of chain stitch to make a border, then filled that it with herringbone stitch. Just for something extra, I added little straight stitches where the herringbones crossed.

It’s not very easy to sew on, it really does feel like hair! And the bag is so small, it’s easier to keep one hand inside and sew two handed :) I’m not sure what I’ll add next, I might see what other stitches come up on TAST before deciding.

This entry was posted in Stitching and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Hairy Alpaca Bag

Wow! Your stitching on the bag is fabulous.

Although I’m not techno-minded enough to understand the work you did on photoshop, I am impressed with your needle agility – it can’t have been easy to stitch that border, especially at the bottom of the bag. How did you keep it so neat?

Have you inserted a ring to buttonhole stitch around? It’s very effective and incredibly neat :)

Thanks, Judith :)
      Those are little Indian style mirrors in the centre (shisha mirrors, I think)

I forgot to mention a lot things, didn’t I? :)

3. Very nice stitching. I am interested in the middle of your star too. it looks like a little mirror held in with stitches.

4. Pam Dugger says:

Zed, that is fantastic! I can’t believe all the detail you have put in that little bag. The colors are fabulous and the design is great. Thanks again for all the inspiration you give.

Awesome! Your stitching is wonderful and had improved the bag immensely!

6. Karen says:

Woa Zed, that looks awesome, you chose good colors and the stitching really makes the bag pop :) I’ll have to get some of those little mirrors now so i can play, i think they look great on felt !!!

Thanks, Kaz :)
      I used embroidery floss, It’s harder to sew with than the plied cotton, but seems to lie flatter

7. I thought you had done the stitching around the little mirrors. I was very impressed. Where do you get them?