This week I decided to try a new style of hat. As it’s the first one and I don’t know if it will work I am making it fairly plain.
To save time I started with a template I already had. I traced around it so I would have the nice round part in the right size all ready to add the new part.
This is the final shape.
Next, I added some silk from silk hankies. The hankies are gray and pink. I stretched the hankies out long so I could wrap them around. They are hard to see, you can see them sticking out the sides.
After I wrapped the first side around, I added another hanky going the other way as well.
Here is how it looks with the first side of wool wrapped around.
And lastly where I had to stop. On the outside of the hat, I added more of the gray and pink hankies. They are very hard to see, on the wet felt they pretty much disappear. I am hoping the pink and gray on the light gray wool will make it shine nicely. It is a very conservative hat but this is a government town so that would work ok.
And here are some of the reasons I haven’t got back to it yet.
The red light is a heat lamp. It has moved to another pen now. They just needed it the first night as it was very cold. These 2 moms and babies are not much trouble but these three below take a lot more work. It is not a great picture but to get a picture of them not moving, standing in front of one another or showing the camera their tails is quite difficult.
The hat is almost done. It still needs the right button or pin to hold the one side of the hat up. Right now it is a strait pin. The curls worked well, I am quite pleased with them. Ocean is a very hard colour of wool to take pictures of. I hope these pictures give you a good idea of what it looks like.
Three of us made hats based on a hat in Judit Pocs video. It seems to be gone from the internet. It was mostly about making a rug. This is Diane and Susan( http://www.suzannetowns.ca/ ) sizing up a template.
They made their hats on the first day. They like a really firm hat so their scaled up the template and added more layers than I do.
Susan added come great colour and Dian used some resists to reveal some fabric on the layer underneath.
Diane added a string of small felted yarn balls to her hat. The parts that stick down were up to high so the pulled them down and twisted them to get them in a better position.
On the second day I did my hat. I adjusted the pointy parts so they would be lower. and left the pointy top smaller.
I should have used a different colour yarn for the embellishments. The colour was much to close the hat colour.
Dian made another hat on the second day. I didn’t get any pictures of it in progress. the template was like witches hat.
I have to give one of these a try. I like the way it is folded in on itself.
Last time I posted, I’d been working on a hat template. A couple of days later I got a chance to work on it. I made a resist out of a large piece of dense plasticy foam stuff I had, probably some kind of packing material.
I made a batt from some browns, greens and rusty orange Merino for the first couple of layers. I laid the first layer on the resist, wet it down, flipped it over then folded the wool in and finished the first layer on the other side. I repeated this colour on the second layer, but laid the wool at 90 degrees. For the third and fourth layers, I used more greeny shades, then I added some torn silk pieces (bottom right photo)
I felted it until it was holding together, then removed the resist. I knew it would be hard work, but hadn’t realised just how hard! I seemed to rubbing and shaping for ages. I thought a bowl I had would be good for fulling and shaping, but it was only good for a while, so I finished fulling and shaping it on my head. I didn’t consider that it would shrink some more so it ended up a bit too small. Using my head made it more of a cloche hat than a bucket hat too. But, not bad for a first go, I think.
The brim wasn’t very even, though it did feel good being smaller at the back.
I don’t think the brim was wide enough, at the front either. Some of the silk pieces came off and I realised I should have worked inside out.
And, upside down it does look a bit like those moulded cardboard bed-pans 🙂
I might rework the template and try again. Maybe 🙂