Although we’ve got baking temperatures and scorched grass outside, indoors I’m amassing quite a collection of Autumn leaves made from Lutradur! I’ve decided its time to start thinking about what I’m going to do with these leaves and incorporating some of them into new pieces of work.
This particular leaf has been painted with Dylan bronze fabric paint to give it a metallic look.
I decided to incorporate it in a very simple choker type necklace. The leaf is quite intricate so anything fussy would distract from the detail.
I began by cutting out a 4cm wide crescent shape from a piece of white superfine Merino prefelt 20cm x 29cm.
This was overlaid with Oyster Merino on the left and Antique on the right.
I made the felt quite thick and really worked it hard to shrink it and firm it up which resulted in a very textural effect and a subtle change from one colour to the other. The leaf was sewn in place using a bronze coloured linen thread. There is a chain fastener across the back but for now you will have to take my word for that…….I didn’t think to photograph it and I’m writing this post sitting in my B&B in Scotland while the Necklace is back home! I will take a picture and add the image when I get back.
In my last post I showed some of the brooches I’ve been making out of Tyvek. This month I thought I would continue with the “man made” fabric theme and show you how I make my Lutradur leaves.
Lutradur is another exciting non woven product which was originally designed for industrial applications including construction substrates, landscaping materials, residential and commercial wallpaper, carpet backings, automotive floor mats and carpeting, and specialized filtration devices. It is an incredibly versatile material which is available in various weights including 25gsm, 30gsm, 70gsm, 100gsm and 130gsm. It does not fray, some weights are translucent, it can be painted with any paint medium, dyed, distressed with a soldering iron or heat gun, glued, stitched, layered and embroidered. In fact, think of an application and you can probably use it!
Lutradur is available in packs of A4 size sheets or by the metre from various suppliers including Spunart in the UK.
My first attempt at using Lutradur was a couple of years ago when I made this leaf using 100gsm…..
I drew the shape directly onto the fabric, free motion stitched over the lines and then painted it with Inktense before cutting out the shape.
You can see how the colour altered once the Lutradur had been zapped with the heat tool. I was pleased with the result but there was something not quite right which I couldn’t put my finger on…..until recently.
Its staring me in the face looking back at these photos, I shouldn’t have sewn around the edge of the leaf! This is that same leaf after a little pruning of those edges and another blast of heat to curl the tips, it looks so much more realistic…..
These are some of my more recent Lutradur leaf creations made from 100gsm…..
Each one is drawn first using a Frixion pen. Next I use a heat resistant thread i.e. Rayon, Viscose or 100% cotton to add free motion stitching along the veins.
Once the stitching has been done the leaf is cut out using a fine tip soldering iron. I wanted to retain most of the fabric on these particular leaves so I also used the soldering iron, rather than the heat tool, to target specific areas to cut holes.
I wanted a more lacey look for this next leaf so after stitching and cutting out with the soldering iron this one was distressed using the heat gun. I left it unpainted to suggest a frosty leaf in winter…..
The following photos show a selection of leaves made by students at my recent “forest floor” themed workshop…..
These leaves are fun to make but be warned, as with so many creative projects they can become very addictive once you get started!