I haven’t really done much since the craft fair a couple of weeks ago, but I do have a few pieces I finished before that I haven’t posted about. This first one is another Diary.
It didn’t sell at the fair, so I altered it and added a strap made from braiding I bought recently and a delrin clip closure. I didn’t have a chance to get a photo though, I gave it to my Dad for Christmas. One thing I worked on over a period of time was another woolly vessel. I embellished a wet felted vessel I made a couple of years ago with lots of wool, angora, mohair and alpaca locks. I attached them by needlefelting, then wrapped it up and put it through the washing machine.
I made this nuno felted piece quite a few weeks ago, but didn’t get a bright day to photograph it. I haven’t decided what to make out of it yet.
Have you made anything over the holidays or took some time to relax?
Before the black Merino and multi fibre notebook cover I made recently, I’d started to make a greeny blue one for a diary. The first batt I was happy with on my drum carder was blues and greens so I used this for the top layer. As well as Merino, I added some texturey Icelandic wool, and locks of Bluefaced Leicester and Wensleydale that I dyed a few years. I added lots of surface embellishments: silk fabric, cotton gauze, organza, silk top, silk throwster’s waste, some synthetic curly fibres and some more of the dyed texturey, curly wools.
It was too large to get a decent clear ‘after felting’ photo, but this is almost all of it:
This notebook took even longer than the black one as it was the first one I’d made like this, using felt off cuts for the straps and hand sewing all around the edges:
I machine stitched the smaller strip onto the wide closure strip
And I machine stitched the two pieces onto the back
But I finished all the edges with blanket stitch
I kept the natural edge of the felt for the inside front flap, I like the little detail of pink and yellow on the silk at the top.