Sanctuary

I have been slowly stitching the tree in my landscape. I am couching down yarns that I have in my stash. These are definitely recycled since they are from old knitted items and the yarn has been pulled apart again. It already has some nice textures and kinks to it making it easier creating a “gnarly” tree trunk and branches.

Here it is when I showed it to you last.

And now, here is the tree filled in with more branches.

And here’s a closer view of some of the texture on the tree. I am thinking about adding just a few more branches. What do you think? More branches or not? I am calling this piece Sanctuary because it reminds me of the trees that the eagles sit on around my house. I see eagles all the time in these old gnarly trees with broken branches.

This is a perfect piece for the new landscape challenge that Lyn posted about a few days ago. But since I already started it before the challenge, I will probably do an entirely different piece for that. But since “scapes” are one of my favorite genres, I am sure I won’t have any problem coming up with a challenge piece. Have you started a piece for the challenge? We’d love for you to share it with us. Just come on over to the forum and show us your landscape.

This entry was posted in felt art, Stitching and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Sanctuary

1. Carol Tummon says:

Hi Ruth,
    Really enjoying watching your tree grow and learning some of the lessons you’re teaching by slow stitching. One of these days perhaps I can use some of what you’re doing here to create something of my own. Lots of ideas/thoughts which I really do need to record as I know I won’t remember them.
    Thanks for sharing your process.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Carol, glad you are enjoying seeing my slow stitching. You definitely should record your ideas. I always keep my sketch book handy to write down ideas or sketch out a few options. Then I can go back to those ideas when I’m ready, sometimes even years later.

2. Lindsay says:

Absolutely loving the tree, Ruth. The texture is glorious. More branches? I’m normally inclined towards ‘less is more’ but I think for balance the tree could benefit from a little more width within the picture so I’d say ‘yes’ – either one or two long branches or extend one or more of the ones you already have one either side to create more horizontal presence. Looking forward to seeing the results.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lindsay! I am in the less is more camp too. I did add some more yarn to the left hand branches to give them more “weight” and I like it better now. I will leave it for a bit and then go back and assess it again. Thanks for your input.

3. annielynrosie says:

The unpicked yarn, being wavy, does add charm to the tree. Not sure, one way or the other about adding more branches – perhaps lay on paper ones to see the effect so you can decide?
    The whole piece is ‘haunting’ – not in a creepy way but in a thought-provoking way.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lyn, yes, the unpicked yarn worked great. LOL, I’m glad you don’t think my landscape is creepy 🙂 But it definitely has a solitary, lonely feeling to it.

4. Antje says:

I’m loving the texture you’ve created. I immediately see the remnants of an old tree on a moon lit night, the tree having been previously struck by lightening, and can imagine an owl perched on a branch watching keenly all around….very atmospheric.
    More branches? Perhaps on the left, but your comment above says you have done just that. Looking forward to the ‘final’ piece.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Antje! Yes, I did add more to the left side of the tree. An owl or an eagle or a hawk would find sanctuary in this tree, just the atmosphere I was trying to create.

5. Great texture. The yarn worked well. I don’t think it would hurt to add a couple small branches.

6. I like the tree, the texture is great. The little more weight to the branch should do the trick for the tree. I do think the picture need something else on the bottom right to balance out the tree. It seems empty to me.

7. Flextiles says:

Great use of recycled yarn Ruth – very atmospheric effect.

Wow, I love the texture of your tree, Ruth 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )