Finished Bookcovers, Unfinished Purses

I actually finished a couple of notebook covers this week. The first one is the landscape piece I showed cut out ready for sewing. This is the front:

And this is the back:

I think every time I use ‘scene’ type pieces for book covers, I tell myself to make the top and bottom ‘sections’ bigger next time, because I always have to compromise over what gets cut off. I always forget! But, then I can use those nice pieces for something else, like part of a collage book cover! I tried to make this next one nice and bright, you might remember me choosing some of the pieces back in February:

And I did make a start on it in March, and then put it away for a while. I realised last week that I was going to be hot, sweaty and miserable no matter what, so I may as well just try to be a bit productive and get my sewing machine out and finish the cover:

Other side:

This is the inside, with some hand dyed cotton fabric as lining:

Front and back opened out:

I bet a hat made like this would look great! I still haven’t manged to get any further on some purses I cut out, but I did get a photo of them:

This entry was posted in Made From Felt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Finished Bookcovers, Unfinished Purses

1. The landscape cover is gorgeous! Cutting nice bits off felt is always painful.
    Your patchwork covers are always so pretty – love the bold colours.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I’m getting better about cutting felt up, it’s easier if they’re just sample pieces though!

I’m absolutely loving the scraps cover! It’s beautiful. Now I want to make one πŸ˜€

3. tracey2008 says:

I fight with ‘scene’ notebook covers, where to place the decoration etc, so you are not alone. Love the cheery scraps cover, I want to make one too! A hat would look fab to match wouldn’t it ! A lot of planning/work, hope you sell it if that’s the plan for it, very eye catching. I have started over locking the edges to book covers, a lot quicker, but I think you enjoy blanket stitch??

Thanks, Tracy πŸ™‚
      You just reminded me that I need to set aside time for labelling/price tags before Saturday. I can’t say I ‘enjoy’ blanket stitch really. I like how it looks, but it takes SO much time. If I could machine stitch as neatly and get a good result, I would. It never seems to suit my ‘plain’ felt covers like it does the collage ones though. Maybe I get the tension wrong, or something.

Love the landscape cover Zed. And the scraps one is gorgeous too It is hard to be productive when you’re too hot.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      Yeah, the heat just makes me really annoyed and irritated, and more likely to mess up what I’m doing. Zig-zag stitching pieces is fairly straight forward luckily!

5. Lillian Johnson says:

I like the colors in the patchwork felt.
    Also, was the Cano fabric cotton or flannel? The roughing effect is great!

Thanks, Lillian πŸ™‚
      The hand dyed fabric is muslin as far as I can remember, probably folded for a bit of tie-dyeing.

6. Antje says:

Lovely covers. What a great idea with your felt cut offs….crazy patchwork with a twist.

The covers are great, but especially like the patchwork. It’s always fun to puzzle it out.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I keep planning to make pieces just to cut up to have a wider variety of colours and shades, I ever have enough turquoise or red!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )