Book cover

I made a sketch book cover for my daughter for her birthday.

Here is the layout I started with. It is 4 times the length of the book. the background is wet in this picture.

And a close up of the base for the flowers. The stems are some hand spun thick and thin wool yarn. The flowers are some super bright trilobal nylon. to this I added some yarn. I forgot to take a picture of that. I just spiraled it around.  The background is wet while I am adding the decorations. The nylon in particular stays put better when the background is wet.

I was not careful to keep the flowers just so. I wanted some distortion, it is more interesting. Next I made the strap for the back of the book. I like this better than two folded over flaps. It means you can put a wider or thicker  book in more easily. I uses some really pretty dragonfly fabric I picked up at a destash sale at my guild for the strap.

For a closure I sewed on a ring and looped the tail through it.

and lastly a shot of the whole thing.

I hope she likes it. She is quite a good sketcher.

This entry was posted in Made From Felt, Sketch Book, Surface Design, Wet Felting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Book cover

1. Carol Tummon says:

Very nice cover. Love the flowers and the twisty stems.

Loving the flowers! I’ve made felt covers before and I know all the work involved. You’ve my admiration 😀

3. tracey2008 says:

The yarn is delicious and the flowers are quirky but arty also, very nice.

That turned out well Ann. I like your solution of how to put the cover together. That makes it so you can be a bit off on your sizing and it still still work. Love the quirky flowers. I’m sure she’ll love it.

5. If she doesn’t like it, i will give you my adress 😉 It really looks lovely Ann.

A beautiful artsy cover for you artsy daughter. I’m sure she’ll love it. Great job, Love all the bling and twistys.

That’s really nice, Ann 🙂 I love the effect you got with the yarn over the nylon.

8. The flowers are like jewels! Lovely gift for your daughter.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w