First Quarter Challenge Finished?

I showed you the start of my first quarter challenge project a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have fixed a few areas that didn’t have enough fiber, fulled and shaped it. When I was covering the book resist, I found that the sharp corners and edges that are formed where the book resist is sewn together are hard to cover. I thought I paid special attention in those areas but there were definitely areas that weren’t covered and holes that developed. But it was easy to fix, I just added more fiber before fulling, needle felted it in place and then wet felted it further. There are still a few areas that are thin but since it isn’t functional, it doesn’t really matter.

I also shaped the crater areas for the “eyes”. I looked for something to fit in them that would hold the shape better but couldn’t find anything. I just used my fingers to shape the craters.

Q1 Challenge Balloons

I used 5 balloons and some plastic bags to fill each of the lobes. It’s really hard to take a good photo of this because it’s fairly large and strangely shaped as you can see. The spikes really make it even larger.

Q1 Challenge Bottom

Here’s the bottom of it. The center area was where I had to do a lot of repairs but you can’t even really see where the problem was now.

Q1 Challenge Piece

I didn’t really get a good photo of the entire thing but this is the best one.

Q1 Challenge Teeth

I am also considering adding some teeth all around the edge of the opening. What do you think? These are shark teeth that I picked up on the beach years ago. I would most likely either glue or sew them in place.

Q1 Challenge Hat

Or perhaps it’s a hat and I could wear it to the next Jubilee? (Sorry for the pitiful selfie.)

Have you done anything for the first quarter challenge? The challenge is to use a wet felted flat resist in a method that you haven’t tried before. I hope you’ll give it a try. It was fun!

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to First Quarter Challenge Finished?

1. Wow! That is some creation. It makes a really fun hat, how about Ascot?!! πŸ˜‰

2. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

What an interesting creation! I also think this hat would be appropriate for Ascot. Thanks for sharing your experience and pointing to problem areas in working with book resist.

I think you should carry on with the teeth and make it a carnivorous creature from outer space – it looks as if it’s landed on your head and it’s trying to eat you whole!

4. Thank you for putting it on your head. Then I got a real understanding of it’s size! It is so fun and creative. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. The hat gave me a good laugh Ruth. You need to have an ascot in winter day. I didn’t realise how big it was until you put it on your head.

Quite an ambitious project, Ruth! My vote is for adding the shark teeth then wearing it as a hat…at least once. You may make the front page in the Kalispell Gazette.

7. josiedb says:

Wow you are so creative. At first I too thought it was a small work of art, then I saw it on your head. I love the teeth if you choose to add. I have been reading up on the challenge and want to give it a try. It will be my first challenge so bear with me.

Wow, that’s huge! It looks great too, whatever it becomes πŸ™‚

9. Gail A. says:

Yes, definitely add the teeth! Awesome and ambitious project!

Oh yes, give it some teeth! πŸ™‚ It’s a superb piece, just be careful where you wear it. πŸ˜€

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Judith. The teeth are a definite go, but I don’t think I will wear it after the teeth are added. No bite mark needed on my head πŸ™‚

Teeth would be great. You could wear it to a Star Wars party!

12. Penny Peters says:

Well, this make me smile!

13. Teri Berry says:

I love it and would definitely add some teeth before filling it full of candy bars for the teeth to protect from snacking fingers!

14. zararooke says:

What a terrific monster! And adding shark teeth is a brilliant idea.

Yes to the teeth, and definitely yes to the hat! πŸ˜€ I’m cracking up here, imagining where you could take one – an art gallery opening, perhaps?