Nuno and Stone Sheep

I can’t remember the last time I got a chance to do some felting, but I got chance again the Sunday before last, and I’d had the pieces laid out for at least a week and half. Two of the pieces were nuno samples. I’d bought some scarves and wanted to see how the fabric felted. For both samples, I laid out two layers of Merino tops and laid the fabric on top. The first scarf I tried didn’t have a label on it, it felt like a synthetic chiffon, slightly ‘rough’. It felted quite nicely, though there were a couple of places along the edges where it didn’t attach securely.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe nuno texture was really nice:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe next piece I tried was viscose, it was really soft. It looked like crepe after felting:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA close up:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA supermacro close up, I think I got the colours matched pretty well πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnother piece I made was with Stone Sheep wool. I first tried this last month, probably the previous time I did some felting. I liked the way it felted and how fast it felted so thought it’d be really good for something I wanted to try out. I laid out a couple of layers of some carded Stone sheep wool, then added a big pile of fake Angora fibre in the centre. I covered it with a circular resist, covered the resist with some ‘Silk Schappe’ that I got from wollknoll (it seems like carded silk noil), then added another couple of layers of Stone sheep wool. I finished it off with some kapok fibre. When it was felted, I snipped a little hole to take the resist out and worked it until I got it how I wanted.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI thought the fake Angora might be a bit fluffier and looser than this, I mustn’t have piled quite enough in!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAYou can see the Silk schappe from this angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Nuno and Stone Sheep

1. love the crepey texture! love the stone sheep and angora piece too! what will you do with it?

Thanks, Nikki πŸ™‚
      I don’t have plans for them yet, but I think the blue fabric might get used on some scarves later in the year.

2. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

Thanks for showing us your experiments. Same as you, I noticed that synthetic chifon needs anchoring at the edges, otherwise the texture is very interesting. Viscose, on the other hand felts in very nicely. Silk schappe is interesting, if you spread it thinly on wool it gives an interesting effect.

Thanks, Nada πŸ™‚
      I used the silk schappe on something else recently, but can’t remember what!

Beautiful samples Zed – I like the circular 3-D effect you got on the last sample, it’s fun.

These are terrific samples of nuno-felting. I particularly like the sunflower–the colors, and the texture. Would love to have a peek inside your sample box!

Thanks, Cathy πŸ™‚
      Now that’s a good idea, put all my fabrics in a box instead of on the backs of chairs and hung from bookcases! πŸ˜‰

Great samples Zed! They all have such wonderful texture. Any idea of what you’ll do with them?

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I’ll probably tidy them away, then be happy when I rediscover them in a few months when I’m looking for something to make a purse out of!

You chose the wool colours well for the fabric – perfect in fact because they both look great.

Interesting result with the stone sheep wool – the piece as shown in the first photo reminds me of a stone hot water bottle I had when I was a girl.

Interesting experiments, Zed. Did you add the felt to the back of the second piece? Sorry, I’m unused to nuno and such πŸ™‚

I really like the last piece, that hole makes me want to add a warm mug of tea on it!

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      For both of the nuno pieces, I laid out two layers of merino tops, then just put the fabric on the top, then felted. So, yeah, there is felt behind both the pieces of fabric.

8. These are great, I particularly like the orange one. Sharon x

9. Great pieces Zed. The stone one does look like you should put something in the hole. A nice mug of tea sounds good. Lyn don’t let Zed tease you like that, the Romans in deed. When I was little my grandfather still used hot coals in a pan to warm the bed.

• Lyn says:

Things have moved very quickly in the last half century Ann, so to anyone who still has youth on their side, stone hot water bottles and other things common in my childhood must look like archaeological finds!

I think it’s just because Manchester is full of Roman stuff and I live so close to a Roman area (Castlefield) you get used to seeing old things and make lazy assumptions πŸ™‚

10. Frances says:

Love the blue piece –

11. Karen Lane says:

These are all lovely but I particularly like the Stone Sheep Wool piece. What a fabulous effect you’ve achieved with the different fibres, the circular cut-out is terrific.