New Nuno

I blended some fine 18.5 micron Merino recently to make a scarf for my Dad for Christmas. I used what was left of a blue/purple/green blend I’d made for another scarf, and ran it through the drum carder with more green. This is one of the batts:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI had to go into town on Wednesday, so I wanted to try out a scarf I’d bought from a shop there when I last went, so I could see if it was worth getting more, since they were only £1 each. The batts I made for my Dad’s scarf were the perfect colour so I ‘borrowed’ some of them to try a piece out:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt’s probably just over a third of the size of a full scarf, or a full sized small collar:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt made a really nice texture, which is a shame because the shop had shut down recently 😦

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd, of course, a supermacro:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThose of you who go on the forum will have seen this piece, it’s a sample I made using some georgette fabric I got from Abakhan last time:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI knew from other similar fabrics I’ve used that it would only attach loosely, the weave isn’t particularly open, and one part of the bottom edge didn’t attach at all. Even though I was fairly certain it would felt like it did, I like to just try a sample on top without wisps etc at first to get a good idea of how it felts, sometimes fabrics like this attach well around the edge if they are quite frayed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI haven’t decided what I’ll use it for yet, but I did make it big enough to make a coin/zipper purse out of, I thought that might look nice.

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to New Nuno

1. jane dolan says:

Very nice inclusions. I like how you play round with how wool takes up different fibres. Hope you have enough left for your dad’s scarf?

Thanks, Jane 🙂
      I didn’t have enough left for a scarf! I had to card up some more wool then re-card it with what was left.

Scrummy bat! It’ll make a great scarf for dad. The small piece of nuno is pretty – are you going to wear it as a collar or will it be made into a purse?

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      It’s too fine for a purse, I did try it round my neck and it felt and looked good, so maybe I’ll keep it to wear.

Great nuno pieces. Too bad the shop shut down! I’m sure your Dad will love the scarf – great colors 🙂

Great batt and beautiful Nuno piece. It will look great as a decorative scarf!

5. The nuno looks great. The smaller piece looks like it needs some free motion or hand stitching to really set it off and secure the edges.

Very nice batts for Dad and hope to see the finished product! Love the nuno and collars are so great for the winter.

7. Angie Norton says:

I like them both a lot. The scarf in could even be a wallhanging it is so nice looking.

Thanks, Angie 🙂
      Yeah, the pattern is really nice, I do have plenty left, so maybe a piece will make it as a hanging 🙂

Gorgeous batt and I love the little scarf/collar. 🙂

9. lizseville says:

It seems a shame not to make that into something to wear. Lovely colour and textures Zed.