Keeping Summer Alive

This past spring, I had a real surprise when I noticed a little garden of violas growing in the cracks of our patio.

2014-04-20 13.02b 2014-04-20 13.02d

They flourished throughout the summer, but when the colder weather started to hit I knew I’d be sad to see them gone.ย  I had purchased a picture frame at a garage sale over the summer with nothing special in mind, but then decided to keep the memory of my patio pretties alive thru a three dimensional felt representation.

2014-06-12 15.23

I needle felted the flower, leaves and stems separately.ย  Then I placed a plastic resist around some of the petals so that they could be manipulated into a shape while drying.

2014-10-25 16.41

I used a white prefelt with just a hint of color in the background and placed the flowers,ย  leaves and stems into position, gently needle felting them into place. Then I placed another resist under part of the leaf I want to raise before felting and fulling.

2014-10-26 15.15

Here are several angles of the felted flower and leaf.

2014-10-29 11.47 2014-10-29 11.48

2014-10-29 11.48a 2014-10-29 11.47

Taking a picture straight on after framing it doesn’t do it justice because it’s hard to see the dimension.

2014-10-29 11.47b

2014-10-29 12.29

Now I can enjoy my viola all winter long.

How do you keep your summer memories alive during the colder months?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Keeping Summer Alive

It’s a beauty (I liked seeing how you made it) and it looks good in the frame – lovely colour choice. It will certainly brighten the winter days.

I’m having similar thoughts about summer memories. I have my ‘last sandcastle of summer’ picture on the wall close to my computer, and I kept looking at it while trying to concentrate on making a ‘snowy’ picture. Somehow my heart’s not in the snowy picture so I may abandon it in favour of a summery one instead!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I like all the different colors, but the purple is my favorite.

I can only imagine how hard to would be to get into a snowy picture with your “last sandcastle of summer” staring at you. Maybe you just need to hang on to summer a little longer. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. This is wonderful. I love this. Please change my email address to (edited out for safety) I had to make a change.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Judy! I’ll try to change your address. If I can’t perhaps one of the other moderators can.

It was listed as that, Judy ๐Ÿ™‚ I removed it from your comment so you don’t get spammed.

3. love it, very springy

4. Judy says:

Hello Marilyn your wool felted viola are so very pretty. And even more special that they are a reminder of our lovely Summer past… You can look at your pretty reminder while the snow flies outside.

It’s been so cold here it is nice to see a reminder of summer. Thanks for showing the process, it turned out to be a beautiful flower.

My California poppies grow in our patio cracks ๐Ÿ™‚

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ruth! It’s getting cold here, too. I’ve had violas the past few years and this was the first time they grew in the cracks. It was a pleasant surprise. It’s nice having a patio garden.

Lovely 3D Violas Marilyn. I love them, they just pop up and smile at you! We call them Heartsease, but they have so many common names: – Viola tricolor, heartsease, heart’s ease, heart’s delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, or love-in-idleness, ๐Ÿ™‚

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Judith! They certainly do! I never knew they had so many names. Whatever they’re called, they are delightful. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The viola picture is just lovely, Marilyn! It looks so real, and your frame just sets off the coloring so nicely. Wish I had thought of doing that before all of my deck flowers diedโ€ฆthey couldnโ€™t survive the recent cold snap!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! Sometimes a project just presents itself. All my flowers are gone, too. Last year I pressed some, but this year I only managed to get the last few violas pressed. Now what I’ll do with them is another question. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. We call them Johnny Jump Ups. The picture turnout great. The 3D makes it.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ann! I’ve heard that name but never knew it referred to violas. I’ve learned a lot about violas today. ๐Ÿ™‚

Great Idea, Marilyn and it turned out excellent ๐Ÿ™‚
    We used to press violas and pansies at school, then use them for bookmarks on card with that sticky see through plastic.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! The bookmarks must be a universal school project. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for changing Judy’s email!

10. Nada says:

Lovely violas, and you did a great job. Your summer memories look great in that framework.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Nada! It’s snowing here, so I will definitely enjoy my viola today.

11. Interesting – we plant violas and pansy in North Georgia in the fall and they bloom all winter – the ground temps to not get cold enough to kill them – they are really pretty with a dusting of snow. They die out in the summer when it gets hot.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

That is interesting. They seem to thrive here in the hot weather as long as they are watered.