Texture

A while ago I bought a weird fluffy, knitted, tubular scarf from Poundland to try felting with. If you ever buy one, make sure you cut it over a bucket or newspaper or something to catch all the bits! I laid out a couple of layers of very wispy pink Merino tops left over from a book cover I made last year, then I added the piece of scarf, and 2 more wispy layers of wool tops. It didn’t take long to felt. This is one side of it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the other side:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is what it looked like holding it up to the sky:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI don’t remember how long after, but I decided the scarf sampler might make a nice sculptural piece similar to one I’d made before. I didn’t make it in exactly the same way, I concertina’d it and stitched in place, then twisted and felted and fulled more. This is the top:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAClose up of the ridges:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASuper close up of the texture:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA close up of the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd a super close up of the texture:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANow, what do I do with the other 8 square feet of fluffy knitted stuff? 🙂

This entry was posted in Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Texture

How about making 8 more sculptures? Texture and colors, very cool!

2. Judy says:

Zed, I really like your very creative sculpture. Neat idea. I especially love the colors and the texture is great.

I think your sculpture made with the experimental felt is wonderful! I agree – more sculptures.

4. Love it. Yes , make more and then hang them at different heights as a group sculpture.

5. Nada says:

How interesting! I have a weird scarf too. I may try to do something too.

Very cool Zed. It looks so much more interesting in the sculpture than just flat. How about a giant sculpture ? 😉

I love it Zed! A series of different shaped sculptures perhaps with different embellishments would be awesome. A great idea.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I’ll have to take over the other half of the living room soon to hang them!

Zed, and then you could be one of those special artists who do installations!

Don’t they just have the ideas and then get assistants to make them? You might be on to something 😉

Very pretty, Zed! I’m sure you’ll end up making other beautiful sculptural pieces with the rest as well 🙂