What Does Your Calling Card Look Like?

In a few weeks, Cathy (Luvswool) and I are going to attend the Midwest Fiber Fair in Grayslake, IL.  I started thinking about what a great opportunity it might be to introduce some people to the Felting and Fiber Forum/Studio.  But I didn’t have any business cards.

So, while working on one of my felt projects I decided that if I’m representing a fiber collaborative I should have business cards that reflect that concept.

I pulled out a bunch of prefelt pieces leftover from other projects and piled up a stack of embellishments and went to work. Of course, I forgot to take a picture before I felted them.  I used just one layer of prefelt so that it wouldn’t be too thick and proceeded to play with the embellishments using yarn, silk, silk habatoi, silk hankies,  sari threads, throwsters waste, silk gauze with sequins and ribbons.

When I finished felting/fulling the pieces, I cut out a business card size plastic piece and cut out the cards while the felt was still wet and soapy.  Then I worked the edges some more before rinsing and drying.

biz cards wool side

After they dried, I steamed and shaped them a little more. Some of them shrank while drying so I did a bit of pulling and stretching.

I didn’t want to sew them on, so I used three different types of glue (Elmers Clear, Sobo and Tacky Glue) to see which would work best, but all worked nicely and didn’t leave any residue.  I applied it using a wooden stick so it was evenly covered. The nice thing about the glue was that while it was wet I was able to stretch and manipulate the felt to cover the card.  To make sure they stayed put I piled a couple of heavy books on them to let them dry and flatten.  I left the organic edges because I like that look.

2014-06-27 13.10

I’m not sure how people will react to wool business cards, but I think it sends the right message.  I’m definitely a fiber enthusiast.

2014-06-27 13.09

The next time I make more cards I will stick to silk and embellishments that are flatter.  While the yarn and ribbon are nice and very textured, it is a bit more bulky.  What do you think?

This entry was posted in Marketing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to What Does Your Calling Card Look Like?

I think it’s the kind of card that won’t get thrown away at the end of the day. So therefore it’s job done well!

2. Judy says:

What a very neat idea. I love them. Have fun at your festival. I look forward to seeing some photos of all true festivity. Hugs Judy

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Judy! I’m looking forward to the festival. This is the first fiber festival for me.

3. Very nice Marilyn. They remind me of the artist trading cards. I need to make up something to give out and pop in bags at the show I am going to in August.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ann! They are really easy to make and as Lyn said not likely to be thrown out.

4. Very clever. I do have a picture of one of my artworks on my cards, but I also make some card sized embellished felt pieces. You can print your card onto photo fabric using your avery label template. I zigzag stitch my fabric card onto the back of the felt card around the edge. I also print onto muslin by cutting a piece of freezer paper the size of a piece of copy paper and iron a piece of muslin that is the same size onto it. It goes right through your printer. Hope that made sense.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Judy! I hadn’t thought of using fabric. That’s. A great idea. Next time I’ll try that.

The business cards are truly a fiber enthusiast’s dream tool, and as Lyn noted, they will not be readily discarded! What kind of plastic did you use for the card, and was it difficult to print?
    Nice work!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! Remind me to take pics while we’re there. I printed on paper card stock meant for business cards. It was very easy.

6. Margo Duke says:

Oh my, how very clever! You sparked some ideas for my upcoming show! Well done and a big thank you for this unique and creative idea!

Great idea Marilyn. I was going to suggest using fabric but Judy beat me to it. It’s like making a fabric postcard. The paper method will be less expensive though. That ready for printer fabric is kind of expensive. I am sure people at the festival will be impressed 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ruth! I happened to have the paper so I didn’t need to make an additional purchase. I do have some iron on transfer paper I could try, too, on fabric. I didn’t even think of that until you and Judy mentioned fabric.

Now I understand that you used a plastic piece as a template for the business cards. I’ve seen the tear-off perforated cards at office supply stores, but guess those wouldn’t look as nice. Will enjoy seeing folks’ reactions to your clever cards at the fiber fair!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

I did use the perforated cards. These were very nice. I’ve had other brands that you could see the perforated edge but these must have been laser perforated because you can’t tell.
      Sorry for the confusion I used a plastic template for cutting.

Beautiful cards, I would certainly keep one of those and it would be on display on my notice board. 🙂

They turned out really well, Marilyn! I was thinking of fabric too, I still don’t have freezer paper, but I have a couple of pieces or Iron-On paper for fabric. I wanted to do some leaflets and cards before the craft fair, but my printer was jamming. It turned out there was an aspirin stuck in the rollers! 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! Wow, an aspirin? I’m glad you got the printer cleared. Be sure to let us know how the iron on paper works out.

I’m so curious to find out what people’s reactions to this will be! They are certainly unusual 😀 They look very nice. I just wonder whether they might end up just a bit too bulky overall?

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Leonor! Some of them are bulkier than others. I’m sure people will see it as a novelty. I’ll post about it on the forum after the show.

• Leonor says:

Can’t wait to hear about people’s reactions 🙂

12. Nada says:

What a good idea! Your card will be long remembered

13. deborahyounglao says:

This is a wonderful idea! I’m sure people will enjoy the feel appeal of the cards.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Deborah! I like to show rather than tell, so the card is worth a thousand words as to what felt is. 🙂

14. Gail Abney says:

What an awesome idea!!! They look great!

Thanks Gail!