Fourth Quarter Studio Challenge

For once, I didn’t leave it until the last minute to start on my piece for the Studio Challenge! I was hoping to take photos of the whole process of making the batt for the top layer, but I’ve moved all my stuff downstairs and it’s really dark so the photos didn’t turn out. For anyone who’s forgotten, this quarter’s challenge is ‘Autumn’. The oranges, rusts, yellows and reds associated with autumn are one of my favourite colour themes, so I have a nice collection of embellishments in these colours. I made a piece large enough to make a book cover out of and have plenty of felt spare to make closure flaps and straps:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI don’t usually add wisps over my surface embellishments, but I wanted a look of them being more ‘submerged’ and part of the surface than on it. Some yellow cotton gauze:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA red and yellow piece of silk:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd a dyed lock of Bluefaced Leicester:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI also nuno felted my new fabrics this week. I only managed to get a clear photo of this one so far, it’s very dark again today. This is a nice patterned grey/blue and pink georgette fabric.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt didn’t attach very well in some places, it’s a bit ‘slick’, but where it did attach, it rippled nicely:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHave you made anything for the Studio Challenge? Lyn has http://rosiepink.typepad.co.uk/rosiepink/2013/10/autumn-felt.html and so has Teri Berry http://teriberrycreations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/fourth-quarter-challenge.html

This entry was posted in Challenges, Nuno Felting, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Fourth Quarter Studio Challenge

1. These have such wonderful color and texture. A good project. I am still cleaning my studio so I can get to this before Thanksgiving.

2. Teri Berry says:

I couldn’t agree more about the colours, they are so beautiful. Every season has its own USP but autumn wins hands down for visual stimulation. What is the yellow fibre you are using in the second picture Zed? I’m loving the spaghetti tangles 🙂

3. Marilyn Nelson says:

Luscious colors in the autumn piece. I love the embellishments for texture. The blue georgette is also nice. The ripples allow you to still see the pattern. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished pieces.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I did think I’d make coin purses out of the nuno pieces, but I might rethink.

The additions (gauze, silk and leicester) give the felt depth and the colours remind me of an avenue at the end of autumn when the foliage is mostly ‘rusty gold’ coloured – it’s going to make a beautiful cover – I hope you’ll post a piccie of the finished cover.
    Thanks for putting Teri’s link in – I hadn’t yet seen the pretty autumn shawl for the challenge.

The colors are perfect for autumn. It will make a beautiful cover. I like the nuno piece too. It makes a very interesting piece overall too with the different textures where it adhered well and not so well. And I agree with Lyn – thanks for putting Teri’s link in, gorgeous shawl!

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      I might add a bit of machine stitching to the nuno piece when I decide what it will be.

6. the orange is beautiful. Georgette never wrinkles up the same way as other fabrics. With some machine stitching it should be really nice.