I’ve been playing with the color wheel in fiber and paints for our first quarter challenge.
When I made the samples for the fiber color wheel I started out using my fingers to blend them. It took a while to get them to look like they were supposed to. (I apologize for the photos and the shadows.)
Since I needed more of the secondary colors to make the tertiary colors, I decided to use the dog brushes. I wasn’t getting the results I wanted. So, I decided to use the carder to make a bigger amount then to move on to blending tints.
Secondary orange then on to adding white, then black for tints.
I stopped with the reds. You can see the outward progression with each color group blending red with white, then red with black then down the line doing the same. Some of the colors look a little reddish brown.
Once I finished the red group I wanted to try paints. It was actually a little harder than I expected. On the left side is the acrylic, the right is watercolor.
When I started the project with fiber I was in Florida with my grandson who wanted to help me. Here is his secondary blending.
Not bad for a five year old! Had he spent more than five minutes with me, he probably would have done a better job than Grandma.
I had been traveling during the holidays and on the return home I had to start working on baby shower favors for the shower I’m throwing in California for my daughter in law later this month. It’s an exciting time, but also stressful with additional travels for graduations and birthdays coming up.
One of the first things I did when I returned was to go to The Fold to stock up on fiber. I needed primary colors to work on the color wheel for our first quarter challenge.
I also bought some Yak and ramie.
I’m not a pink person, but my first granddaughter will be born soon so I stocked up. I’ve been making booties for party favors, but I don’t think I bought enough roving. Thank you to forum member (Tina) Cherry for providing me with the template.
While we were in Hawaii my husband Craig and I had the opportunity to meet Tina Cherry and her husband for lunch at Duke’s On The Beach. Thanks for lunch Tina and Stan! We had a great visit.
I wanted one side to be lighter than the other so I proceeded to make batts combining white and pink to lighten the color.
I made 12 resists. Since I’m not sure how many people will attend the shower, I expect to make extras. I used two layers. One light and one darker.
Here’s the third side done waiting to put the final layer on.
So far I’ve made 24 experimenting with different ways to speed up the process. Since we are in the middle of a blizzard here in the Chicago area, I ordered more fiber from Paradise Fibers in Spokane. I’m hoping it will arrive by Wednesday when I’m sure to be out. And of course, I have to decide how to decorate and fill them.