Renewing My Commitment to a Daily Dose of Fiber

This is the time of year when I start reflecting on what I have accomplished over the year. I know it is a cliché but time seems to move much faster now that I am a “bit older”. I remember as a child that the summers lasted so long that I got bored and longed to go back to school and Christmas took forever to get here. Now it seems like I turn around, summer is over and Christmas is here and gone. I try not to take any moments of life for granted. There are many reminders that life is short and taking advantage of the time I have is important. One way I try to do that is to take a bit of time every day, even if it is only five minutes, to create something. Whether it be fiber related, art related or just a fun, creative activity, I think it is so important to always take a few minutes in my busy day to be creative.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The slideshow is some of the pieces that I created in the first half of 2018. Many times, I might only have time to take a few stitches on a piece or draw a quick sketch for a design idea, but just taking those few moments always makes my day more cheerful. I get a little grumpy if I don’t get to “play” each day. One of the ways I am able to be creative every day is I get up 30 minutes early before I’m off to work and use that time to create in my studio. I almost always have something set up to continue working on so that I can just jump in and start.  That time works for me but might not work for someone else. Do you have time to add 5 minutes of creative time to your day? What if you wrote it into your schedule? What if you put down your phone for 5 minutes or got off the internet for 5 minutes? Many times I have heard people complain that they don’t have enough time to do something. I think if you really want to do that activity, you can “make time”. I am busy like everyone else but I do get lots of things done because I take a few “down time” moments throughout my day to create. I have a project in a baggie to take with me in the car for when I’m waiting or I take along a sketchbook to draw or think out new ideas.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This slideshow is some of what I created in the last half of the year. When I look back at these photos, I think,”that isn’t much” But a lot of my time this year was for the work I did for my Level 3 Art and Design class that I’m taking. I don’t usually show much of that work here but I do share that over on my personal blog, Permutations in Fiber. If you’re interested, you can click on the link and take a look at my posts over there.

Over on our free forum, we do have a section that is called other challenges and there is a “Daily Dose of Fiber” section each month. Would you like to be more creative in 2019? How about joining our “Daily Dose of Fiber” challenge? What did you do today that was creative? Here is a post that I wrote back in 2013 about Making Space for Creativity. It’s hard for me to believe that I have been doing this for five years. I have missed a few days but not many. And I don’t beat myself up if I do miss a day. I just get back into the groove the next day and carry on.

So I am renewing my commitment to keeping creativity an active part of my life. I want to spend time in my studio, make stuff and share it with all you wonderful readers. What do you want to do in 2019?

Here’s wishing everyone a fiber filled, creative year ahead. And do please share with us what you’re creating, we’d love to see. Just join us over on the forum to share, ask questions and meet other like minded folks! And if you have been lurking over there, please join in the conversations. We don’t bite, we’re actually very friendly.

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Renewing My Commitment to a Daily Dose of Fiber

1. annielynrosie says:

I can’t believe it’s actually 5 years since you wrote that inspiring post Ruth!
    Like many people, life commitments and problems can take all the waking hours of my day at times and when this happens I don’t feel quite right.
    I need my creative time to feel fulfilled and my daughter Annie feels exactly the same way.

Yes, we all need to grab any spare minutes/hours to enjoy making ‘stuff’ and sharing our highs – and lows – on the forum.

• ruthlane says:

I know Lyn, how did 5 years go by so quickly? But that’s what I mean about time. It disappears and I don’t want to miss my creative time. I always look forward to hearing/seeing what people have created so I hope everyone shares with us on the forum in 2019!

2. I miss creating and hope 2019 things will be better and I can get back to what I love. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

3. Antje says:

Ruth your comments and previous post from 2013 are inspiring (more accurately – a friendly kick in the butt!). Life has recently been interrupting my creativity time, making it very ad hoc.

With this encouragement I will aim for 2019 being the start of setting aside ‘regular’ fulfilling creative time.

Marilyn I hope you find a little time to release your creativity.

4. tracey2008 says:

I admire your determination to add creativity to your day, that must help your mind on so many levels. When I am stood behind my table at the craft fair, I very often find myself saying ‘ I am addicted to wool, when I am not creating, I am thinking about creating’, and this is so very true. There is a lot of inspiration out there, I love seeing what others create. I am very happy how things are going for myself right now, creativity wise, so I am looking forward to 2019 continuing in the same theme.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Tracey, I am happy for you, being in a good creative place. As you start the year is how you finish. Someone said that, didn’t they? Anyway, here’s to all of us increasing our creativity in 2019.

5. Great post Ruth. the phone and internet does seem to grab more time than it should. I am trying to have some hand work to do in the evening when I am relaxing.

6. Lindsay says:

Wonderful to see so much of your lovely experimental 2019 work, Ruth, and an excellent time to reflect on what we’ve done, what we hope to do and how to nurture our creative beings. It’s almost 2 years since I left regular paid work. I’ve always made things but my life has massively changed since then in a way I had never anticipated as I’ve been able to unleash a great amount of surpressed creativity, mostly through felting but also beading and photography. I joined the forum early last year which has been a great source of support and inspiration so thank you all and I look forward to enjoying other people’s creations, and sharing more of my own, in 2019.

I’m hoping that in 2019 I can have my own room for a ‘studio’ or workspace. We gained 2 new members to our household in the last few months (basically it doubled) so space has been tight and finding time to be creative has been difficult.
    I love seeing all the things you’ve worked on throughout the year, Ruth, lots of variety 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed, I hope you can have your own space too. It really makes it more difficult to create when you have to continually clean everything up when you’re in the middle of something.

8. HatsbyTresa says:

Inspiring! Your Art is Awesome… Great for the soul…Love it

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )