Shaping up the Crochet

Now that I’ve learned the crochet basics, I’ve challenged myself to follow instructions to learn to make shapes.

I guess I’m really thinking spring because I first tried flowers using two different methods.  I like the yellow one better since the hole is less noticeable.

A little fancier flower which wasn’t as hard as I thought.

Then a circle.

Feeling more confident I did a triangle motif. Since I’m using medium weight yarn it ended up larger than I expected and kind of floppy.  I may try again with a smaller hook and tighter yarn.

Of course, I needed to try  a heart.

And my favorite shape an octagon.

By accident in making an octagon,  I made a nonagon (a nine sided polygon) which I didn’t know existed.   There is a cool animation of how a nonogon is calculated here. It’s not perfectly balanced, but I like it.

All of these were made with combinations of the basic stitches.  It was interesting re-learning how to follow instructions to create these shapes.  I thought the videos would be better, but found I kept referring to written instruction. Probably because I could reread instead of rewinding. That is if the written instructions are accurate which in a couple cases they weren’t.  I did a lot of tearing out and redoing, but that’s how we learn.

Have you tried something new recently?

This entry was posted in crochet and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Shaping up the Crochet

Your crochet is beautiful! The accidental nonagon doesn’t look accidental at all – it’s perfect. I’m really liking the octagon but is it because of the colours in the yarn?

If you carried on with the circle, then did a couple of rows without increasing or decreasing, then started to decrease, would you end up with a pod? And if you used wool, could you full it?

Do try a flower using embroidery silk – it’s quite a different effect.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! Perhaps it is the colors of the octagon. I think it makes you look harder to see the shape. Perhaps I’ll try a solid color.

The nonagon was purely accidental I could have never followed that diagram in order to figure out how to make one.

I believe you’re right about the pod. I saw a tutorial for a bellflower and decreasing did form a pod shape. I’m sure if I did one in wool it could be felted similarly to what we do now. I think you just gave me an assignment. 🙂

I will definitely try embroidery thread for a flower.

2. Your crochet skills are really improving! I particularly like the triangle in teal.

Right now, I am learning how to spin wool. It’s a challenge, but I am not giving up!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! I just wish the teal were a little tighter, but the yarn is shiny and loose. Perhaps a smaller hook would work.

I’m glad to hear you’re hanging in there with the spinning. Practice makes perfect (or as close as we can get.) :-). I look forward to seeing your home spun yarn.

3. meterrilee says:

Wow! Beautiful shapes. A couple years ago, I undertook the exact same “challenge” for learning shapes, and I started with a flower too! I had found a picture of a baby blanket crocheted in shades of bright blues and greens…all in the shapes of flowers. It was my inspiration and I wanted to make it. It is still sitting here in my crochet to-do basket, undone. Lol! I made about 30 flowers then got bored. If I can find a picture of the blanket that inspired me, I will post it.

4. meterrilee says:

http://alldaychic.com/crochet-flower-blanket-diy/ Found it! There is a picture on this blog of a little baby sleeping under this cozy blanket. Not quite as brightly colored as I remembered (the one I started is much brighter). Maybe I will pick up the hook and work some more on this thing. 😀

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Terri! I can see why you were inspired by the blanket. It’s beautiful! I can see getting bored though making all those flowers. I hope you finish it at some point. When you do, be sure to let us see it.

Great job on the crochet Marilyn. It looks like you’re really learning a lot. I am looking forward to your new pod 🙂

Wow, you learn fast, Marilyn! I like the octagon, the random wool suits it well 🙂

7. Great flowers and shapes Marilyn. My crochet was always uneven and I couldn’t even manage a square. I like the blue flower better because the petals look more distinct. The purple one is really nice too.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says: