Flowers, Fimo and Felt

After the nuno flower workshop at the well-being centre last week, I thought I’d make a few flowers of my own as they don’t require too much effort. They’re mostly layers of cotton gauze or scrim, wisps of merino, another piece of gauze and finer wisps on top. I haven’t sewn them together yet because I want to put organza on the back of some. But I did hunt through my fimo buttons to find the right ones:
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’m running low on buttons now, I don’t have as wide a variety of colours as I thought, so I might have to make some more. I had a look through my fimo tiles last week too, and put some magnetic strips on a few to make fridge magnets. These are some of my favourites:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI like making the inlaid ones, they’re quite easy to do, but look impressive πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASome of you have already seen these next two pieces. I made a bright patchy piece of felt last week, mostly Merino, but with some strips of silk and gauze:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI thought I’d go a few steps brighter and made a stripey piece with vivid merino shades and gave it some sparkle with dyed trilobal nylon, milk, viscose, rose fibre and bamboo:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI prefer the slightly subtler back though:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Flowers, Fimo and Felt

The flowers turned out great. And I love your fimo tiles, they are impressive. I keep thinking I will make some as I have quite a bit of fimo but it never happens πŸ™‚

2. zararooke says:

I may have to add FIMO buttons to my list of things to do… And those tiles look very nice. I also like the back of the stripey felt, the way the colours run into each other. I guess that effect is easier to get with merino. The coarser wool I usually use, probably blends together too much during felting to give such distinctive “runs” of colour.

Thanks, Zara πŸ™‚
      I’m trying to think if I’ve done something similar with naturals, but I usually do something more like the patchy one and do blocks of different breeds. I bet it would look good with naturals though πŸ™‚

3. Teri Berry says:

I’ve never tried Fimo either but this looks really interesting, are the buttons machine washable?

Yeah, the buttons are, but if you used something on top, like to highlight a texture or something like the finishes on the tiles you’d have to use something suitable.

The Fimo tiles really are impressive looking, and I do like the buttons you made. Do you stamp the Fimo or carve it? Many years ago my sons liked to make things out of Fimo, but they usually rolled it and cut it.

Thanks, Cathy πŸ™‚
      The texture or pattern on all those tiles is from stamps, the top 2 buttons are stamped too.

Your tutorial on fimo is invaluable. I used it when making Buttons for my grandsons Easter baskets. I like the inlaids as well.

6. Angie Norton says:

The flowers are quite pretty! I like the design on the buttons. This looks like it would be a good small Nuno project to try. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Angie πŸ™‚
      Yeah, you’re right it would actually, you can learn a lot because it’s the kind of nuno where you can stop whenever you’re happy with how it’s looking and doesn’t have to be neat πŸ™‚

7. koffipotk says:

I love your fimo buttons and tiles and they make good centres for your flowers. I had some fimo and tried some millefiori a while back. Hmmm……perhaps a bit over ambitious – ‘muddyfiore’ was the most appropriate description. 😦

Thanks, Judith πŸ™‚
      I wish I could do those canes, they always look good, but I even messed up when I bought a ready made one!

8. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

I love your buttons, Zed. Please make some more, I would like to buy them from you. The ones you had given me, have already been used.

Thanks, Nada! πŸ™‚
      I’ll have to start when I’ve got lots of spare time because it always seems a waste to put the oven on for just a few things!

9. The flowers are great Zed. Your buttons are just right for them. I like the tiles. I should make some but I really do not need another hobby.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      You’re always looking for the perfect button though, maybe you just need to make them πŸ™‚

How did I miss this lovely post? Your buttons are superb and really do make those flowers impressive.

Thanks Lyn πŸ™‚
      You’re usually one of the first to comment but I think I posted quite late in the day because it had been too dark to take photos the day before.

11. 1marylou says:

Beautiful and the polymer clay buttons are perfect!

I like the flowers, Zed! And the Fimo buttons touch is also very nice, the way everything goes together colour-wise makes my eyes smile (if that makes sense) πŸ™‚

You should post on the Fimo blocks, I also liked those a lot. The one that resembles a playing card was my favourite…