Pencil Roving Mats

I recently got some Pencil Roving when I did a World of Wool order. I liked the look of it, but couldn’t decide on which colour, so I decided to get a 500g bag of Pencil Roving waste. I expected more than 4 colours, but it still worked out cheaper. I wanted to see how well it worked layered, so I decided to make a ‘woven’ mat/coaster type thing. I started off with a 10 x 10 inch template:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then I cut the pencil roving a bit smaller, 10 strands of each colour:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI laid the strands across the template:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI then held the bottom of the strands down with a ruler and flipped back alternate ones:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI laid the strands across the columns and then flipped back the other strands:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI used a plastic knife to push the strands in to place.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is how it looked when it was finished:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI didn’t think it looked its best, so I took off a few of the strands at the ends:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI added a couple of layers of Merino tops, then felted it and fulled it quite firmly. It was about 7.5 x 7.5 inches afterwards:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI also made another mat with pencil roving, I used up some of the spare lengths left over from the other mat, and added rows and columns. This one ended up slightly wider as there wasn’t as much roving going across as there was top to bottom:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI thought they turned out really well 🙂

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Pencil Roving Mats

1. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

This turned out very nice, Looks like a woven carpet. Good idea, Zed.

2. Lyn Regan says:

I think it looks good too!

3. Andrea Braithwaite says:

Love this idea! Thank you.

4. Mary Stori says:

Hey….what a great idea…..I want to reach out and touch the finished piece on my screen!

Zed, this looks great, I really like the woven one particularly. Would make a great notebook cover 😀

Cool idea Zed. They turned out really well.

What a fun idea, Zed! A great way to try weaving on a much smaller scale. My fave is the second one.

Thanks, Cathy 🙂
      I like the colours more on that one, the green background makes a difference.

8. love how they turned out! have got a lot of pencil roving so may have to try weaving it now thank you for sharing!

9. Really nice and fun idea…love the texture!

10. Karen Lane says:

I’ve not seen pencil roving before, these are really cool Zed. I particularly like the last design.

Thanks, Karen 🙂
      It’s the first time I’ve tried it. I have plotulopi which is very narrow Icelandic ‘roving’, but it’s very thin.

They’re both great! I like the way you’ve edged them. The finished woven one looks like a very complicated design doesn’t it?

These are both wonderful and I love the woven look. A great use for pencil roving. I have always liked the finer detail that you can achieve with pencil roving. It would be cool to leave spaces in between too to have a lacy look.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      That would look good. I was surprised how thick the roving was really, I suppose I expected something like a chunky yarn.

13. Very cool. I bet they would make good hot pads for the table.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      That was my intention, actually. I put silicone on the back of a smaller one a while ago, and it’s great for putting pans on, but a bit too small.

14. These look great, and now I know what pencil roving is, I realise I have some! Bought it a show last year, unlabelled. 😃

15. Kathy says:

Great!! I have some pncil roving and wasn’t sure how to use them …. now I do! Thanks, they are lovely.

16. Pingback: Nuno and Pencil Roving Weaving | feltingandfiberstudio