Monet Challenge

I didn’t get a chance to do any felting for a while until this week because we had a ridiculous heatwave here. I did manage to make a few batts for the Monet challenge though. After choosing some of my favourite paintings, or ones which I thought I might be able to use as inspiration, I made a simple montage:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI then messed about with it in Photoshop:

Using this for inspiration I made a couple of green batts; a purpley one; a purple and yellow blended one which looks kind of mustardy/mossy, and a mixed blue one. Looking at Monet’s style he mostly had a straight/dashy style, but some paintings or certain areas of paintings had a softer swirly style. For the first piece I made using the batts I laid out areas of different colours then added softer wispier swirls of wool and fibres:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI made this piece using the batts too. Neither of these first pieces copy Monet, they are just inspired by the colours.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI wasn’t very confident I could do an actual ‘copy’ of a Monet painting, but I thought I’d have a go of at least doing an impression of a Monet piece πŸ™‚Β  I chose Morning On The Seine In The Rain.

Morning-On-The-Seine-In-The-Rain-largeI was actually quite surprised when this started to dry and it actually looked like something! I don’t know if it’s because I’ve stared at the original so much that I can see the similarity and that it’s meant to be it, but I’m pleased with how it turned out.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhen I was fluffing up the fibres for the swirly piece, I thought I might have a go at needlefelting a piece too. Since I had all the colours out, and had really started to like it, I thought I’d do another based on Morning On The Seine In The Rain. I used a piece of thick commercial Merino prefelt as a base, and blended some texturey wools like Icelandic, carded lambswool and Devon longwool with Merino to get the colours and texture I wanted. I like the way this turned out too πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIf you want to join in the challenge, you can comment on any of our Challenge posts and link to your piece or post it on the forum in the thread we have there: http://feltandfiberstudio.proboards.com/thread/1587/third-quarter-challenge

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Monet Challenge

They are both great zed. I like the wispier willows in the wet felted piece, but I also like the textural effect of the needle felted one. πŸ™‚

2. Judy says:

Hello Zed, it looks like you was having a fun day felting. Hot, it has Not been hot here the whole Summer, in fact very coolish to cold. I love your wet felted and needled felted impressive of Monet paintings. An excellent job of creating both. Hugs Judy

Clever idea to begin with a montage of Monet paintings to get the predominant colors! If I had to choose one, it would be “Morning on the Seine…” Beautiful effect, Zed.

4. Wow, how impressive. Good job.

Both are great Zed, but I love the more detailed wet felted piece. You’ve certainly been busy. The first piece you did using the color palette is terrific, too. Great idea to do the colors first.

6. Teri Berry says:

I love your “copy” of the original, I hope I don’e get struck down for saying this but I prefer your felt piece to the original. The leaves in the foreground are sharper and that give a good sense of perspective.

It’s so pretty… I have wet felting envy now πŸ™‚

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      I’m sure you have all the supplies for it.

• Leonor says:

Just not the skills! I’m so terrible at wet felting it’s not funny :/

Rubbish! You make amazing needlefelted sculptures, wet felting is just layering wool, making it wet and soapy and rubbing for about 10 minutes!

• Leonor says:

I’ll make something soon and I’ll show you. Seriously, my wet felted items all end up being needle felted to make them pretty (er… less ugly). But thanks for the compliment πŸ™‚

These are all wonderful and definitely all of them remind me of Monet’s work. You did a great job on the last two getting the feel of “Morning on the Seine…” I haven’t even started thinking about this challenge yet. Maybe I’ll work on it a bit tomorrow.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      It took me a while to get started, and I never planned to make so many pieces!

9. These are both beautiful pieces Zed. I also like your idea of doing a montage to get the colour scheme….I might use this process myself at some point.

10. Cathy Sizer says:

Interesting that you were discussing using Monet as inspiration and many kudos to your fine work. Last year our art association had a show in which all of the entries would be based on fabulous fakes! I, as a felter and not a painter per se, chose the color scheme in Monet’s Watercolor series and felted a scarf in those colors. Am thinking I can attach photos here? Otherwise I don’t know how to attach to your comment section or to the blog. Cathy Sizer…I did make a scarf using your technique where you baste some of the silk ahead of time so it doesn’t felt and then let it loose when done…Worked great!! Cathy Sizer Savannah, GA

Wow Zed – you have been busy! I love the first two pieces that you did with ‘Monet colours’ but the ‘Morning on the Seine in the rain’ is downright stunning. Amazing.