Finished Needle Felting

I finished the needle felted piece I showed in my last blog post, and with some nice, bright weather I managed to get a good photos of it too!

I also finished another piece that I made using the same wools from Cathy which I showed in a wet felted piece previously:

The natural dyed fibres look far less ‘harsh’ than the acid dyed ones, I think. This is the same Turmeric dyed locks I used on the wet felted piece:

And, I don’t know what this was dyed with, but I think it’s Alpaca:

And one last needlefelted piece, I had forgotten all about this one! I was looking for a box to use and found one on top of a bookcase, it didn’t seem to have much in when I shook it, I was surprised when I opened it and saw this! I’m not sure if I’d considered it finished or just forgot all about it. I made it using scraps I’d saved, I think I got concerned about some of the threads which had got mixed up in the ‘wool for birds’ tub, after reading about how threads and long hair are responsible for pigeons losing their feet. It’s really soft and lightly needled:

I think I’ll be making felted soaps this week, we made one at the well being centre on Monday and I didn’t hate it! What are your plans for this week?

12 Responses to Finished Needle Felting

1. Antje says:

The bright colours work well and I love your ‘find’. I hope you create something with it and it doesn’t go back into ano box!
    A question….how stable is the turmeric dyed wool? Will it wash out or fade?

Thanks, Antje πŸ™‚
      The turmeric dyed wool (and all of them, actually) were really stable, I made a wet felted piece using them recently and none of the colours faded.

• Antje says:

Thanks Zed. I have a Shetland morit fleece which I have washed and am gradually carding. I’ve been tempted to try dying it with turmeric but was dubious as to it’s stability. It’s now definitely on my ‘to-do-list’.

I don’t know how it was mordanted, I was given all the wools, I don’t really know much at all about natural dyeing! Hope yours turns out though πŸ™‚

2. Lovely pieces Zed and what a find! Needle felting is very relaxing once you get into the rythym isn’t it? Glad to hear you make a soap and didn’t hate the process!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      Yeah, especially abstract needlefelting where all I have to think about are which colours to use! I made two more soaps, so not bad so far!

I like the fluff in the pieces! Any plans for them?

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      No, not yet. I did think I might combine my small pieces into a larger one one day when I get enough!

It’s interesting to see the difference in the dye methods in the same type of piece. The natural dyes are definitely softer. I hope your new felted soaps sell well for you. What kind of soap are you using?

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I use Johnson’s baby soap, it’s hard enough to not disappear during the process, but soft enough to be nice soap. It’s a good commercial soap that would be ok for most people and more affordable than handmade ones.

5. Marilyn says:

Nice bright colors and the β€œthe find” is beautiful. Will you wet felt them or frame as is?

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I didn’t have any particular plans. I can’t remember what the big ‘find’ is needled onto, but the others are on boiled blanket or something. So might not be suitable for wetting.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )